Starting Coop this weekend...questions

COgirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Falcon Colorado
Hi, DH and I are starting our coop this weekend. We are converting a 12x20 metal shed, putting in wood floor, wood walls and siding it. Can't get it done all at once, budget you know. But planning on getting at least the floor in this weekend. Any way we have some scrap stuff around here I would maybe like to use to help defray cost, one of those things being a sliding glass door. Would like to put it on the East side as the main door in. I like the idea of the chickens getting all that natural light, especially in the winter, but winter is where the question lies...Too cold in the winter??? We're on the CO prairie, lots of wind in the winter. We will have heat lamps run and I know I open my eastern curtains in the winter to help warm up the house. Next ? would the chickens try to run thru it, I hope that doesn't sound too silly, but I know birds fly into windows all the time. Last two? is 12x20 large enough for 31 chickens, given that they are able to free range about 5 acres all day, and how many nest boxes and roosts are needed, out of the 31 know 2 are roos so far. Thanks so much for any thoughts or ideas.
Kim

I can't really say if the sliding glass will be warm enough since I'm not in your area, but I figure if the doors had previously been on someone's house then they must not be too cold. To help prevent them flying into the glass you can paint grids on it to mimic wire, the lines don't need to be that close together.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

12x20 should be plenty of room for 31 chickens.

I'd probably shoot for 8 or 9 nest boxes.

Not sure on the roost question... I know it's a certain amount of footage for each bird, just can't recall the footage amount - may 2' per bird?

I was going to say, just put a few stickers on the door, so they can tell when it's closed. Or, just let it get a little dirty!
lau.gif

That sounds like a good size coop for your chickens. They usually figure 1 nest for every 4 or 5 chickens. I always figure 12" per bird, for roost space.

Are you insulating? Don't forget to add ventilation, too. You'll need a little in the winter and a lot in the summer, so should probably have vent(s) that you can open and close, with a door/wood flap. Windows also work for this. All openings that will be open at night should be covered with hardware cloth, to keep out predators.

Oh I like the painted grid idea, and it getting dirty should be no problem if my eastern living room windows are any indication!! DH said we could insulate if I want, guess we'll see how the budget holds up, guess I was thinking with the sideing and walls going up it would maybe be ok. Plan on hitting the salvage yards for windows the shed already has 4 skylights, but I want a large window on the south side and then maybe two smaller ones on the west and would like to find a screen door for the sliding door, hate to put anything on the north as our worst winds come from there. Luckily predators aren't a huge issue, our Aussies do a fantastic job of protecting our place, the coyotes were out and pretty close last night, but Boomer and Mollie were right on the fence line doing their job and they are big enough the coyotes think twice, in 6 years we haven't had a issue, but I know, never say never. I worry more about hawks and snakes especially since I had a run in twice with hog nose snakes this week, won't hurt me or the chickens (too small) but it is still a snake Yuck. And I don't need as many nest boxes as I thoght so maybe I can find some used milk crates. Thanks for all the great ideas, you are all so helpful.
Kim

Hubby got the cleaning out part pretty much done today
yippiechickie.gif
so I was able to get in there and start making plans.. Yes we will insulate even found a old cabinet that I can use for some of the nest boxes and there was even an old window in there we can use, amazing what you find when you clean things out. So hopefully tomorrow we can get the floor or at least part of it in. I counted my chickens wrong I forgot to count the older ones, so I have 37, but there is definately room for all and maybe a few more
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom