starting deep liter?

themkleclair

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
i currently have a 2' x 7' run for flock of 4. we have been using and in the run and don't want to go into the wither months with it. we were thinking of starting deep liter, but i've read you should start in spring? does anyone one have any suggestions of what we should do, as the sand is not going to be feasible anymore.

Hi there! I am currently building a bigger coop and plan on using the DL method in it. Right now, I am trying a "mini" version of it out in a brooder with 3 ducks and 6 chickens. In the brooder it is over cardboard boxes...but, the big coop will be on concrete. So far, I am very pleased with the pine shavings in the brooder! No odor and soaks up the water well. If you follow my blog, chicksandducks.wordpress.com, I am keeping updates on the DL method in the brooder. Big coop will be finished this Sunday and I will be moving my two ducks in there---so, I'll be able to give updates on that one soon as well :)

I believe you can start anytime! I don't see why you couldn't. I just see people tend to clean them out at the same time of the year--usually fall or spring. Or both. But, I don't see why you can't start now. I am :)

i currently have a 2' x 7' run for flock of 4. we have been using and in the run and don't want to go into the wither months with it. we were thinking of starting deep liter, but i've read you should start in spring? does anyone one have any suggestions of what we should do, as the sand is not going to be feasible anymore.

I think the general idea of starting it in the spring is so that it's already giving off heat for the winter (and then you clean it out in the spring and use it in your garden).

Back
Top Bottom