Starting in the fall?

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
I had planned to hatch some quail this spring but one thing and then the next... Now it's miserable stinking hot. Afraid my chickens are going to stroke out before this weather breaks and it's just now June.

Anyway, thoughts on hatching in the fall? Egg availability, timing it so they would be able to take the cold by the time it gets cold, etc.

Live in West Central Georgia.

Also, I was planning on trying Coturnix but changed my mind based on some research that seems to indicate most folks think the Bob White is a better tasting bird even though they are more trouble to raise.

Get Bobs Now While They Are Available. They Are Seasonal Layers. May Be Stimulated To Lay With Temperature And Light, But Fertility Sux When This Is Done. Also They Are Much More Cold Sesitive For A Longer Period Of Time Than Coturnix. Coturnix On The Other Hand Are Generally More Cold Tolerant As Chicks And Are Readily Available Year Round

Hmmm. Maybe I will try a few Coturnix this fall and depending on how that goes try the Bob Whites next spring.

Ya'll got any rain down there? We are about to dry up and blow away.

1/2 Day In The Last 4 Mos.... Not Much
sad.png

Hey Ken,
I got eggs in the bator now and gonna set some more as soon as these go to the hatcher. Im in Kansas and its 95 now but the humidity is only 65%. Dont figure its gonna cool off much here either in the next few months.

I would set the eggs when the mood strikes. Who knows, I might get hit by a bus and never get to. Like that pretty little thing you was always gonna ask out but never got around to. OPPORTUNITY MISSED... Gett'er done!

Then set some more this fall too. You can already have this batch in freezer camp as you watch for the next batch to hatch. You know you cant have to many quail...
thumbsup.gif

As for the Bobs v coturnix, aint no question most folks prefer bobs for table birds. I have 6 times as many bobs as I do corts. But if I only could have a limited amount of birds I would have coturnix. They eat good, not bobs but good. No comparison in the egg category, corts crank out the eggs. (I heart pickled eggs!) And they are just happy little birds, glad to see you walk up the pen. I only have a few bobs that will even be on the same side of the pen I'm on. Either way you go, good luck. Bill

Quote:
Well good to hear from ya Randall, you been kinda mum of late... Hows the split hatch in the big bator goin? Bill

Quote:
Well good to hear from ya Randall, you been kinda mum of late... Hows the split hatch in the big bator goin? Bill

Well, I've been burnin' the candle at both ends so to speak, Bill.....between work (the kind the pays the bills), keepin' the farm up, and 2 youngsters in Little League baseball........this ol' feller is 'bout done reached his limit
sad.png

Anywho.......the lady I got my first quail from a couple of years ago had some hardship with her Bob stock, and I let her have my 161 "in process" eggs this past Wednesday. You'd have to know this ol' lady. She's a poultry freak.....got don't know how many chickens, turkeys, quail of all breeds, guinneies, etc...... and lost her Bobs by a coon raid (long story). Anyhow, they've been good to me, so I gave her my soon-to-hatch eggs plus 114 ready-to-set eggs so she could get back in bizness. You'd have to know these folks..........good ol' country folks that love poultry, and got me started in the habitual hobby, ya know? I love helpin' folks out, and when they saw the size of the parents of the eggs they got, she lit up like blue lights at a road block! I felt good about what I had done when I layed down that night. The transition was good, I thought.........she knew what to bring to keep the temp up as much as possible to get the eggs to her bator (they've got 3 GQF cabinet bators), and I think all will be fine. Soooooo, I'm gonna start Randall's hatch over, as the ol' hens are producing pretty good now. I'm not on here much lately, but I love keepin' up with you guys' posts. Y'all take care, and I'll drop in when I can.....
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:

Well, I've been burnin' the candle at both ends so to speak, Bill.....between work (the kind the pays the bills), keepin' the farm up, and 2 youngsters in Little League baseball........this ol' feller is 'bout done reached his limit
sad.png

Anywho.......the lady I got my first quail from a couple of years ago had some hardship with her Bob stock, and I let her have my 161 "in process" eggs this past Wednesday. You'd have to know this ol' lady. She's a poultry freak.....got don't know how many chickens, turkeys, quail of all breeds, guinneies, etc...... and lost her Bobs by a coon raid (long story). Anyhow, they've been good to me, so I gave her my soon-to-hatch eggs plus 114 ready-to-set eggs so she could get back in bizness. You'd have to know these folks..........good ol' country folks that love poultry, and got me started in the habitual hobby, ya know? I love helpin' folks out, and when they saw the size of the parents of the eggs they got, she lit up like blue lights at a road block! I felt good about what I had done when I layed down that night. The transition was good, I thought.........she knew what to bring to keep the temp up as much as possible to get the eggs to her bator (they've got 3 GQF cabinet bators), and I think all will be fine. Soooooo, I'm gonna start Randall's hatch over, as the ol' hens are producing pretty good now. I'm not on here much lately, but I love keepin' up with you guys' posts. Y'all take care, and I'll drop in when I can.....
smile.png

Well Randall, Thats good on you man. What it means to be a good friend. Good folks are gett'in harder to come by , but there still around. Your one of them my friend. Hope your girls keep crank'in out the eggs and the kids have fun at the ball games. Bill

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom