STARTING INCUBATION SOON HELP NEEDED

Assuming your incubator is correctly calibrated (I've heard even new LG incubators built in thermometers being off by as much as 5 degrees!) you want the temperature at 37.5.

First, decide where you're going to put the incubator - this is important for temperature fluctuations.

Fans, doors, vents, windows, etc. can affect the incubator temperature - I do mine in my basement where the temperature is the most stable day and night in my house :)

You need to put the pointy side of the egg down and they should have settled for at least a day after moving from receiving them.

Also, the incubator should be running for at least several hours before putting the eggs in, ideally a day to make sure it's stable.

Make sure you put the water in! I'd say fill it once a day, I used mine today for the first time and used a straw plugged with my finger in a water bottle to transfer water over to the tiny water tray that is insanely close to the fan haha!

Oh also, if you've been storing the eggs in a cool place, bring them to room temperature before setting them in the incubator
1f642.png

Thank you! Should I store the incubator (while they're in there) where people often don't go? Also, as babies what should I use for the bedding because this is going to be my first tie and I don't want to mess up
lol.png
! Did you have any successful hatches with the incubator I'm going to use? I don't want to mess up all of the eggs.. lol... Also where could I get a heat lamp that's good for them? Is a cardboard box good enough for when their babies? Or should I use something else? Sorry I have sooo many questions because I'm a noob at this lol. I just want everything to go right. Thanks again!

I'm also new to the hatching business.. I now have 13 quail (9/10 days old) & 3 pheasants same age.. I do know that cardboard wouldn't be ideal unless you use puppy pads so the bottom doesn't get saturated with feces.. I have mine set up in totes. I cut several pieces out of an old sheet so I can change/wash/bleach them 2-4 times a day.. Within the last few days I've had to change them soooo many times it isn't funny.. They step in their poop & it dries on their feet making them a target for picking.. I've tried washing their feet however, it's very hard to keep them calm & still.. I get a trickle of warm water going & try wiping with a cloth.l 've also tried holding them so they stand in a little plastic chip dip bowl to soften the mess but even that isn't helping.. It's really driving me insane!! Lol.. I tried paper towels but they pick it & eat it up with an hour.. I tried newspaper for a few minutes but that was too slick.. Lol. I'm not sure about incubation of all eggs but I had bob whites & a quail farm manager told me to keep my 30 yr old, (dry air) incubator at 102' degrees with a 60% + (mine was 75%) humidity rate until day 20, then up the humidity & no longer turn. Our hatching rate was outstanding, although, we've had our battles with other issues including pecking.. Wishing you Lots of luck!!!!

Also, I kept my incubator in our basement bathroom.. I set up our food away camping table, closed the airconditioning vent & closed the door.. Only time I was in there was 3 or 5 times a day to turn the eggs & make sure there was enough humidity.. I also kept a small spray bottle in there & each time I turned the eggs I would add new "warm" water & mist directly on the eggs & around the incubator.. ^ ABOVE: I hit a 6 instead of 7, it (Should have read 70%+) on humidity..

Build you a box with 1/4" wire on the bottom and you want have any poop problems at about 10 days old you can move them to 1/2" wire. I have a light with 60 watt bulb in one end so you can adjust it up or down to keep them warm

Thanks guys! When they first hatch, what food can I use for them? And if not those options, what bedding should I use for them? Around here I cant find that small wire. Does on of those yellow dome incubators work well? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom