1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting my first time with chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickChick16, Jun 7, 2016.

1. ChickChick16

ChickChick16 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    I have purchased 2 black Orpington hens ( 8 months ) to start off having some chickens- what do I need to know- almost done with my coop, will have 1 nesting box ( was told I only needed 1 per 3 hens ) and building roosts. They will have an 8x8 by 6 ft tall indoor area with nesting and roosting, connected to a 6x6 by 4 ft tall outdoor dirt and grass area...

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

what is it that you want to know?

3. ChickChick16

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    What's the best feed? What do they get for treats if any? My friend throws most of her table scraps etc in there not sure if that's good or not

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can give them scraps and treats as long as it's not a main part of their food. For layers feed them layer pellets or mash or crumbles. For the scraps look up what they shouldn't eat as there is stuff you're not supposed to feed them

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    treats/scraps should not make up more than 10 % of their diet - or they will turn up their beaks at nutritional feed and eat only what is " like candy" to them.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. ChickChick16

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    things seem to be going okay... just learnig about the different personalities of each hen... been kinda fun ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by