Starting my flock- breed recomendation

MrsA510

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2016
Hi,

I am starting my flock this April. I am planning on only getting 4. I've narrowed it down to the following breeds. Most important is that they be friendly. My son is 2.5 and they will be free range in our backyard. I also want good variety in appearance. I'd like them to all look distinctive so I can easily tell them apart. Variety in egg color would be nice as well. A rainbow of chickens and eggs would be ideal.

Barred Rock
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger
Silver Laced Wyanadotte
Welsummer
Jersey Black Giant
Buff Brahma

Thanks in advance!!
jumpy.gif

We are blessed to have had every breed on your list, except the Buff Brahma and Jersey Giant. Barred Rocks are a MUST; mine are incredibly good for children.
smile.png
If you're looking for pretty eggs in all colors and shades, EEs are the way to go, plus, they themselves come in every color under the sun. It's kind of fun raising them without knowing what they'll look like as adults and what they'll lay. Welsummers lay the MOST LOVELY terra cotta eggs with speckles, which are sure to look attractive in your cartons!

I've never had Buff Brahmas, but they seem to have a reputation for being ideal pet chickens.
big_smile.png

-Alex

Last edited:
I have had all of these breeds and out of all of them my favorite based on personality is the Buff Orpington! They are so sweet even the roosters in my experience!

Buff brahmas are also GREAT they get big and fluffy and are unique with their feathered legs.

I would defiantly recommend the easter eggers and welsummers they lay beautiful eggs. Really nice surprise to collect them in the morning!!
All the breeds you have listed are awesome picks.

@MrsA510 , welcome to BYC! We also free range our birds and favor the friendly, pretty, colorful breeds...and we are downright OBSESSED with having the most colorful egg basket possible!
big_smile.png
Good news is, there are a LOT of breeds that fit your criteria, and you came up with a nice list. I'll give you my take...

Barred Rock: We have two, and they are my all-time favorite! Ours are curious, comical little attention hogs. They DO get somewhat "pecky" if they feel you're not paying enough attention to them, but we find this trait endearing (though some chicken keepers don't). They lay a very light brown egg that looks as though someone took a paint brush and flicked white paint all over it...very pretty.
Buff Orpington: We have one, and though she is not especially friendly, she is VERY gentle and easy to handle...even for children. The bright golden plumage is just beautiful.
Easter Egger: We have four, and they were ALL flighty as chicks but calmed down considerably at point of lay. You can't beat the variety of plumage AND colors of eggs. Two of ours lay green, one lays blue, and another lays a bluish-green. I've said before that if I could only own one breed (though the EE isn't a true breed), this would be the one.
Silver Laced Wyandotte: We have one, and she lays a darker-than-average brown egg and has flashy plumage...but her temperament leaves something to be desired, IMHO.
Welsummer: We have one, and she has gorgeous plumage, is a first-class free ranger, and lays lots of huge, beautiful terra cotta eggs with dark brown speckles. I wouldn't say she's the cuddly type, but she is docile and for so many reasons, is just a GREAT bird to have around.
Jersey Black Giant: Never had one.
Buff Brahma: Never had one, but I've heard good things.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, just let us know. By the way, I also have a 2 1/2 year-old son, and he just LOVES chickens of ALL ages. I am a firm believer that every kid deserves to grow up with chickens.
yippiechickie.gif
Best wishes to you as you embark on your chicken adventure!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom