Starting on incubation

BrentsBeginning

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2015
Hi all I just received a incubator for Christmas. It is a little giant 10300 with 6300 automatic incubator. I am wondering the process for collecting eggs for incubation and the incubation process and how to set up the actual incubator. Thank you any information helps.

Hi all I just received a incubator for Christmas. It is a little giant 10300 with 6300 automatic incubator. I am wondering the process for collecting eggs for incubation and the incubation process and how to set up the actual incubator. Thank you any information helps.
Can't help with the setting up since I'm terrible with things like that. :) But, for pure breeds, separate the different breeds and allow them to mate. If you don't care if they're pure, you don't have to. Collect the eggs every night and but them in the incubator. After several days, candle the eggs by holding a light up to the small end of the egg to see the inside. Discard eggs that are rotten (completely dark) or infertile (completely clear). In fertilized, developing eggs, you can usually see the embryo. The temp. should be about 100°F and humidity around 60%. Incubation period is 21 days for chickens. Good luck!

Welcome to BYC! I'm not familiar with that specific incubator but I do have a little giant. I don't use automatic rotators; I just don't like using them. If you can take a picture of it we can probably help with what goes where and how to work it.

Plug in the incubator and let it run for about an hour to see what the temp is. If there's a digital reading of the temp then not much to worry about temp. If there isn't a digital reading of the temp then you're going to need a thermometer. The incubator needs to between 98-102 degrees. I try my best to stay at 100 degrees. Most incubators have a place at the bottom of the incubator to put water into to for humidity. They have items to read the humidity if your incubator doesn't already have a digital reading for it. I can't remember what the item is that can measure humidity. Make sure the water is in when you're testing the temp.

If you have a rooster and some hens just go out and collect eggs. Depending on how many chicks you want will be how many you need to collect. To make things easier keep the eggs out of the incubator until you have the number of eggs you want to incubate. That way all the chicks are hatching on the same day. If you have an automatic egg rotator than you shouldn't have to worry too much about rotating the eggs. Remove the rotator three days before the eggs begin to hatch. Chickens incubation is period is 21 days when incubation begins.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Birdrain92 has given you some good advice so I'll just say, "Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch."

Bird rain 92,
6 were born in the last 40 hours. I want to try candling to check on the rest but haven't quite understood it yet. Reading on it now.

Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom