Starting Out with New Breed suggestions

Rose combed Anconas?
I would like the rose-combed ones in the future, so I can only tell you of my experience with single-combed ones.
Very heat tolerant, and lay like Leghorns but have great personalities.
I like their personality better than most of the other breeds I’ve owned. Anconas are curious, friendly, and while they are flighty as younger birds I like them because they’ll tame up nicely and explore every part of the yard, making much of their food out of the range.
They are perhaps the only large fowl I wanted to keep because of their friendliness.
They also lay large white eggs through the winter. (As long as you use lights.) Mine are still going strong.
Obviously they have a few disadvantages. The females are somewhat cold tolerant but the males will have issues with the weather. Rose-combed ones would probably solve that problem. They lay white eggs. If you don’t want white eggs, I wouldn’t recommend them. And they aren’t autosexing. A given if you are to pick a heritage breed. They also don’t have a quality carcass, though they grow fast.
They may not be the best choice, but out of the breeds I’ve personally experienced, they are the best for your situation.

What about creating an autosexing mixed breed with the qualities you want? Like crossing leg bars with something that has a smaller comb and is a good layer? I would purchase blue egg laying hens that do well in the winter.

What about creating an autosexing mixed breed with the qualities you want? Like crossing leg bars with something that has a smaller comb and is a good layer? I would purchase blue egg laying hens that do well in the winter.
Like Ameraucanas? I know someone who crossed Bielfelders with silver Ameraucanas to do that.

Back
Top Bottom