Starting over !

bluemini

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Okay so I posted on here last year about my bad 2nd experience with TSC chicks,well im going to try one last time . Im getting pens ready now and the building they will be in,what do they need ? Someone mentioned last time the thing I did wrong was not giving them some sort of chick feed/packet thing,I just cant remember the name .

Also what food to start them on ? We dont have any feed stores near by just a Tractor Supply . Thinking about 2 ducks also since mine got killed by the dogs .

I will take pics when I get the building cleaned up,but it has 5 pens(in the making),and a large old wooden rabbit hutch that I used as a brooder and I have outside pens .

Please help,thanks . I will be searching the forums and reading through everything I can here to make it right this time .
hu.gif

I have never given my chicks anything other than a Medicated Starter and Grower feed and plenty of clean water. If I have a few that seem a little weak, I give them some wather with a little vinegar in it. That often times perks them right up.

What is important. Draft Free, warm, safe place, free from predetors.

I have never given my chicks anything other than a Medicated Starter and Grower feed and plenty of clean water. If I have a few that seem a little weak, I give them some wather with a little vinegar in it. That often times perks them right up.

What is important. Draft Free, warm, safe place, free from predetors.

Okay thank you,thats what I did last time but only 1 chicken lived,and both ducks made it also . I usually keep them in for a while(couple weeks),what age should they go outside ?

Inside or outside doesn't matter. What does matter is the right temperature you create. Chicks need room too play, jump and run. If they are too crowded, they can smother each other if they get cold and crowding also encourages cannibalism and other bad behaviors. The extra room allow them to move away from heat, if they want to regulate their body heat as well.

We've brooded out dozens and dozens of TSC chicks over the years and never had a loss. (knock on wood). Just Chick Starter and good clean water, that's it.

Usually they can go out at 6wo, as long as they are fully feathered they should be ok. If it's warm they might be able to go out earlier but 6 weeks is pretty safe. =)

I read through your other thread and I'm still wondering, what did you feed the other chicks? I know it wasn't medicated chick feed but I can't see anywhere what you did feed them and I'm curious.

Its been a while back so I cant remember the name of it,I will go find it on their site and let ya know . Its for chicks,ducks and something else I think,let me go check .

Okay,.its Dumor brand ,chick starter/grower 20% ,feed . The guy at the store told me that was best but I doubt he even knew what he was talking about .

Also the ducks I get there(4 total)have done great ! Just the chicks,but thelast time I bought chicks there I had to get the left overs cause they only had 2,I think they was sick from the start .

Last edited:
You need to make sure you keep them on a medicated chick starter and keep them warm. Make sure you keep food/water available in front of them
big_smile.png
at all times. I also use a vitamin/electrolyte that I put in their water 3 days a week.
big_smile.png

I'm not familiar with the brand but that's ok. I raise my chicks on unmediated feed with no issues but I know it can be a big issue.

I was more interested in checking it was chick feed, I've seen people post that they've lost chicks but they were feeding them layer pellets or only scratch grain and wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem. It is possible you got already sick chicks. The last few in the store have probably been handled a lot and could have picked up something from someone while they were waiting to be bought.

It's also possible the chicks got chilled, the one duckling I raised seemed to need less heat than the chicks he was with. Also, did the chicks and ducklings share the same brooder? I had awful trouble keeping the water clean and ended up dividing the brooder. Dirty water is a quick way to sick chicks and the duckling didn't seem to be bothered a bit. :/

I wish you luck with your new chicks, hopefully it will be a much more pleasant experience. :D

Yeah made sure it was feed . And no,the ducks were way larger than the chicks so I didnt,plus the ducks were always making a mess so I decided it would be best to not . At the time they died we was having dog problems(neighbors)maybe they had a heart attack ?
hu.gif
And thank you , I just have to get the pens ready
yesss.gif

Also,can you use kiln dried pine in the bottom of the pens/building ?

I'm not familiar with the brand but that's ok. I raise my chicks on unmediated feed with no issues but I know it can be a big issue.
I was more interested in checking it was chick feed, I've seen people post that they've lost chicks but they were feeding them layer pellets or only scratch grain and wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem. It is possible you got already sick chicks. The last few in the store have probably been handled a lot and could have picked up something from someone while they were waiting to be bought.
It's also possible the chicks got chilled, the one duckling I raised seemed to need less heat than the chicks he was with. Also, did the chicks and ducklings share the same brooder? I had awful trouble keeping the water clean and ended up dividing the brooder. Dirty water is a quick way to sick chicks and the duckling didn't seem to be bothered a bit.
hmm.png

I wish you luck with your new chicks, hopefully it will be a much more pleasant experience.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom