Starting to build a new coop

cameldairy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 20, 2009
Cairo, GA
This is what we got done the first day of construction.
beginningofthechickenhouse.jpg
The finished project will be a 8 X 16 house, with a 8 ft covered outside run all the way around 3 sides. Then we will build two 6 X 16 tractors that will be able to attach to all parts of the runs when needed. This is for my 13 nearly grown hens.

We want it to have an overhang on the front, but we really can't figure out how to do this because we will be putting on a screen door that will be opening out. Does anyone know how to do this or show me a link to a photo? I could sure use the help. I guess we made the roof too short.

I don't see why you can't have an overhang- the pitch doesn't have to be that great. You could just angle it out from the top of the roof line (slightly below the original roof) and have it rest on homemade wooden brackets which are screwed into the wall studs. Or, you could do like I'm planning to do (no pics yet b/c it's not done) and put a shallow front porch on it with a slight enough pitch to accomodate opening the screen door. Your coop is beautiful and I can't wait to see it when it's finished!!!!!

Quote:
You COULD use joist hangers to catch the ends of 2x4s or 6s ( I'd use 2x4 to allow a little "drop" from your original roofline) out to another header held up with just poles, for a "porch like deal with no floor". If you had thought about the over hang from the beginning, you could hav cantelevered from the roof rafters. Either way, it'll be fine, and if you don't put much pitch on the porch roof, your screen door will swing open fine, especially if you use 2x4s. good luck!

What they all said. Or, if you want a *deep* porch-type overhang on front, for lots of well-shaded area and no sun on the front wall at all, you could do a bit of extra (educational!
smile.png
but very doable) carpentry to make a triangular bump-up over the door, like a lot of houses have, you know? So that when you look at it from the front, you see the flat front of a triangle? It is super common for house porches, I am just blanking on the official name for it. Anyway that way you could make the overhang as very-deep as you wanted.

Good luck, have fun, lookin' good,

Pat

GREAT ideas!!! Thanks a lot. The triangle bump over the door would make it look more like our house that we're building now. Here's a photo of it as of yesterday. When finished it will have stucco and stone on it to match my barn.
zorroinfrontofhousebeingbuilt.jpg
See, here's the barn:
frontofnewbarn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom