1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting to hatch into business

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Little Red Hen Eggs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Little Red Hen Eggs

Little Red Hen Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi, I am just getting all kinds of information and plan to start raising chickens for an egg business.
    At least that is my hope. I am just in the starting stages.
    My husband and I live on about 4 acres and have two dogs - Duchess and Puddles. Duchess is a Labradoddle black, 81 pounds and full of energy when she is not sleeping.
    Puddels is my 7-8 pound lasapoo and silver gray with some black. Puddels think she is a big dog.
    We have two grown children living at home.. Daughter works and goes to college and my son is just out of the Navy.
    I work as a cake decorator and also own a vending machine business.
    I would like to have chickens to sell the eggs and also to use them myself. That way I know where they come from.
    Any advice is always helpful to me.

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    what would you like to know exactly? are you looking for advice on laying breeds/temperment, housing, feeding, what? you'll have to be a little more specific, because just asking for "advice" could get you a five page lecture from most people on byc, lol [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. You've come to the right place. [​IMG]

5. Little Red Hen Eggs

Little Red Hen Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    thanks for the warning.. I guess maybe what would be a good laying hen? What would be a good size coop for about 12? Do I need a roaster?
    I am sure I have more, but these will do to start with. thanking you in advance.

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. Fireflyjunction

Fireflyjunction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    KC area
    [​IMG] From KS! [​IMG]

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

AC

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:[​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La. [​IMG]

Any of your sex links are laying machines. If you want more longevity go for your Barred Rocks, RIR, Buff Orphingtons, etc.. And no you don't need a rooster their just good to have around protectnig their flock!!

10. sk acres

sk acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Marana, AZ
    [​IMG] from AZ.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by