Starting to panic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EarthMuffinFarm, Feb 14, 2013.

1. EarthMuffinFarm

EarthMuffinFarm New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Ketchikan, AK
    No one in my town sells chic starter...not even the guy that sold chicks last yr. My babies are going to be here week of march 4th. Did I mention my town is on an island in AK. Walmart is our best and now only feed source. They just sold out of grower/layer feed. Oh and I could order a 5lb bag online then pay $85 shipping and pray it gets here before the chicks but im not a gambler. Help recipes and or someone near an actual feed store that could ship me some in a flat rate box. Any Help or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Sgtfirstwife

Sgtfirstwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Stedman
    I am not sure if this will help or not, but here is a site for how to make your own feed http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html. I know when I have run out of feed, I give them oatmeal with extra fruit. I am not sure about new chicks though. You would have make it with specials vitamins or extra something. I am sure the early frontiers did not have chick starter...good Luck

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Maybe you should post and ask for help from AK members? You could also use Turkey starter for chicks. Can you order from walmart and have it shipped to your store for free? Hope someone can help you out.

4. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Call Alaska Mill and Feed in Anchorage and see if they will ship you some.

1 person likes this.
  5. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I had got some starter feed from Amazon before my chicks arrived to have some at the ready.

6. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    I have a 5lb bag of medicated starter that I have no use for. If you are interested in reimbursing actual shipping cost (paypal?), I would be happy to send off a flat rate priority box for you on Monday, that would get to you well before your chicks. (Depending on what fits, i could pick up some more starter to fill the box. )

Just let me know if you are interested - I've lived "rural" so can understand your frustration.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Have you checked with Talbot's?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by