Starting up a 4-H program?

MsPony

Songster
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Santa Barbara
Does anyone have experience with this? I found out my local 4-H doesn't have animal programs anymore! Back when (like 10 years lol) we had rabbit, chicken, cattle, sheep, etc. Now nothing
sad.png
I would love to start a chicken program, heaven knows I have enough chickens lol!

Who did you contact?
Did you have to go through training?
Were you weekly, bi-monthly or monthly?
What were some activities?
Did you teach via their curriculum, yours, or a mix?

Thanks so much!!

ETA: I'm in my young twenties, how, as a parent, would you feel about that? I need to know what I'm against here! I've had chickens forever, as my moms had them for 50+ years too she got me started. But I know age, especially a young college student, always takes people back!

(PS if anyone in Santa Barbara is interested in helping me out with this, let me know!)

Last edited:
When my son became old enough for 4H last year, I found that I was in the same situation with the lack of a 4H club in my town. I went through the application process to be a 4H volunteer when I was invited to be on the poultry committee last year. Involved a written application, reference letters, interview, and police background check. The process took several months, but once it was all approved I was "allowed" to be an advisor, and start my own group if I wanted to. There is a LOT to learn about 4H (at least in my state), and things have definitely changed since I was in 4H 25 years ago. I would like to have my own group eventually, but elected to join an established group and learn more before I branch out on my own. My town doesn't have a group (other than an equine club), so I drive to another town 25 minutes away to take my son to meetings. We meet twice monthly from January until the end of fair, and do not use a state curriculum (if one exists I am unaware of it). The kids basically run the meetings but the advisor keeps everyone on track and makes sure that all the paperwork and requirements for fair are met. As a parent, I wouldn't have a problem with a twenty-something year old as an advisor, especially if the person had recent 4H experience. I know some 4Hers that get too old to participate any longer and continue to serve as a volunteer in this capacity. Just start the application process early because it can take longer than you would expect to be approved as a 4H advisor. 4H is a really great program, and if there isn't anything available to the kids in your town then that is a shame. I hope this answers some of your questions, and good luck.

The extension office will give you everything you need to get started. They probably even have a website if you put the words into Google.

I wouldn't be put off by a young 4H leader, especially if she had a lot of experience with her chosen animal/competition. Involve other parents as much as possible. My boyfriend goes to all the 4H meetings with his daughter so HE can learn more about horses too. I attend my daughter's goat meetings. The only other goats owned by members are Nigerian Dwarfs and Boers. I'm the only one with dairy goat experience even though I no longer have goats. Don't be too proud to do EVERYTHING yourself. Others will come out of the woodwork once you get going.
wink.png

I think that is a great idea, my favorite thing about the Ventura Co Fair is the animals! Here in town, not sure there is a 4H, but bet there are some in the SY Valley, Buellton, Lompoc and Santa Maria

Back
Top Bottom