Starting up a 4-H program?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MsPony, Dec 4, 2011.

1. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Does anyone have experience with this? I found out my local 4-H doesn't have animal programs anymore! Back when (like 10 years lol) we had rabbit, chicken, cattle, sheep, etc. Now nothing [​IMG] I would love to start a chicken program, heaven knows I have enough chickens lol!

Who did you contact?
    Did you have to go through training?
    Were you weekly, bi-monthly or monthly?
    What were some activities?
    Did you teach via their curriculum, yours, or a mix?

Thanks so much!!

ETA: I'm in my young twenties, how, as a parent, would you feel about that? I need to know what I'm against here! I've had chickens forever, as my moms had them for 50+ years too she got me started. But I know age, especially a young college student, always takes people back!

(PS if anyone in Santa Barbara is interested in helping me out with this, let me know!)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    4-H is run through the Extension Office, so call your Extension Agent to get information.

3. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Thank you! I'll do that tomorrow. Anyone else have answers to the other questions?

4. chickenology

chickenology Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Ohio
    When my son became old enough for 4H last year, I found that I was in the same situation with the lack of a 4H club in my town. I went through the application process to be a 4H volunteer when I was invited to be on the poultry committee last year. Involved a written application, reference letters, interview, and police background check. The process took several months, but once it was all approved I was "allowed" to be an advisor, and start my own group if I wanted to. There is a LOT to learn about 4H (at least in my state), and things have definitely changed since I was in 4H 25 years ago. I would like to have my own group eventually, but elected to join an established group and learn more before I branch out on my own. My town doesn't have a group (other than an equine club), so I drive to another town 25 minutes away to take my son to meetings. We meet twice monthly from January until the end of fair, and do not use a state curriculum (if one exists I am unaware of it). The kids basically run the meetings but the advisor keeps everyone on track and makes sure that all the paperwork and requirements for fair are met. As a parent, I wouldn't have a problem with a twenty-something year old as an advisor, especially if the person had recent 4H experience. I know some 4Hers that get too old to participate any longer and continue to serve as a volunteer in this capacity. Just start the application process early because it can take longer than you would expect to be approved as a 4H advisor. 4H is a really great program, and if there isn't anything available to the kids in your town then that is a shame. I hope this answers some of your questions, and good luck.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    The extension office will give you everything you need to get started. They probably even have a website if you put the words into Google.

I wouldn't be put off by a young 4H leader, especially if she had a lot of experience with her chosen animal/competition. Involve other parents as much as possible. My boyfriend goes to all the 4H meetings with his daughter so HE can learn more about horses too. I attend my daughter's goat meetings. The only other goats owned by members are Nigerian Dwarfs and Boers. I'm the only one with dairy goat experience even though I no longer have goats. Don't be too proud to do EVERYTHING yourself. Others will come out of the woodwork once you get going. [​IMG]

6. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I think that is a great idea, my favorite thing about the Ventura Co Fair is the animals! Here in town, not sure there is a 4H, but bet there are some in the SY Valley, Buellton, Lompoc and Santa Maria

7. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:X2 extension office in your county will have everything you need. They should be very helpfull. Good Luck

8. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I'm glad you asked this. I'm looking into starting a dog program here. I'm not sure I want to do all the administrative stuff though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by