1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting w/ 7 week olds..heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mnhop2, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mnhop2

mnhop2 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    I'm looking at acquiring some large framed Brahmas, light and Buff, that are approximately 7 weeks old. It been YEARS since I've had chickens and am trying to remember if they will need heat at that age. I'm planning on temporarily housing them in a couple larger rabbit cages until I get their outdoor setup done. The barn is not heated...but in winter will be to about 45-50 degrees. Any advice appreciated!

Sheri in MN

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They should be fine at 7-weeks with no heat. By that time, they should have most of their feathers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    7-week old chicks should be fine with no supplemental heat unless temperatures get down below 50-60 degrees Farenheit. They'll be nice and warm in the winter, even if you don't heat the barn--chickens are very hardy in cold weather as long as they are in a draft free, well-ventilated place (after all, they have their own built-in down blankets!).

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They'll be fine. Feathers are a great insulator. Cold doesn't effect them near as much as wind or wet, so as long as they're dry and not drafty you should be good, even down to freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by