Starting with goats - A Dilema

ecocheapomom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
New Hampshire
I posted this on Backyard Herds as well, but need all the advice I can get and this is where I usually hang as we are already chicken people
smile.png

We are about to set out on our first adventure with goats and I am in need of a bit of advice. We have done all of our research and have decided on Nigerian Dwarfs. We want to keep goats for milking and also have small children so the nigerians seem like a good fit for us. Back in March, we met with a local breeder who had some kids available and we put our deposit down on a set of three siblings - one doe and two wethers. Long story short, we developed a major fox problem on our property which required us to change the housing for our chickens and delayed us in getting ready for the goats. So we had to let the original trio go.
Now we are back on track and ready, but with the extra time I had to think, I decided that it would probably be more useful in the future if we had two does and one wether (the wether will most likely be for my daughter to do some 4H activities with) even if it costs more up front. So the breeder only has one doeling available right now, but she thought she might be willing to let us buy the doe's mother and brother as well. This seemed perfect because we could try our hand at milking right now. But now she said that the mother is not available and she has the one doeling and two wethers for us. I would very much like two females and there is another local farm (with an excellent reputation) that has a doe in milk available with a doeling/wether set of twins. This would be perfect, but the original breeder has my deposit and I would also feel guilty cancelling on her since she was very patient and understanding with our the delays in our schedule.
The breeder who we have been working with gets many of her goats from the farm that has the perfect trio so I am wondering if we can work something out or would that be bad to ask? Am I wrong to change my mind about what I am looking for. I am thinking about feed costs and the return on our investment and what would suit our family best.
Sorry for the long story, but I don't have any goat folks here that I can seek advice from. Thanks!

I have some Nigis and love them. I found a great breeder in Oregon, Im in Ga. Paid a deposit for 3. I ended up finding 3 from a breeder 2 hours from me 2 weeks after I sent the deposit. I did kinda feel bad about the original breeder, she had given me tons of info and countless e-mails. But, she did keep $150 and her kids are greatly sought after. Im sure she had them sold the next day. Do whats best for you. I have no regrets changing my mind.

I sell fainting goats. Things like this happen all of the time. She may be upset and she may keep your deposit - which I think is fair. I think you need to get two does and the wether. You really need to do what is right for you. Start out with what you need. Who knows...down the line you may need another doeling which you can get from seller #1 or you may need to breed your does to her buck.

Good Luck - and for what its worth - it says a lot about you that you are even concerned about buyer #1. Sadly, most people would not give it a second thought. I commend you for your concern.

Enjoy your goats.

jojo@rolling acres farm :

Good Luck - and for what its worth - it says a lot about you that you are even concerned about buyer #1. Sadly, most people would not give it a second thought. I commend you for your concern.

Enjoy your goats.

well said. Just be honest with the first seller and go with what you really want to do. You will feel better in the long run.​

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. I think I am going to get in touch will the breeder today and share my thoughts with her. Maybe she will even have some ideas to work the situation out.

Why don't you get the doeling from Farm A and the adult Doe and her little wether (but not the doe kid) from Farm B. That way, if you decide to start showing (lol, I have a kid in 4H too and some of them really get into showing) then your 2 does won't be related, giving you a bigger breeding base.
And this way everyone's happy.

Quote:
:] I'd do this. Granted I have a breeder I'm trying to work with atm and wont be getting the babies until October and I only want two, either two does or a doe and wether. I told them I wanted two does... buuut I'm willing to sway for a wether, not that they need to know that ;D

I have 2 Nigi's they are great! why do you want 3? 2 work together nicely, maybe just get 1 doe and a wether or 2 does, whatever she has.
But make sure they are free of lice and other things first.
I know that in my area it is very easy to sell extra chickens and goat fast!

I emailed the breeder today and it turned out that she had been thinking that she should hold onto one of the little boys as either a buckling or a companion for her other little buckling. That meant she would need to let go of one of the other doelings that she was going to retain. So we were actually thinking the same thing. So we are now slated to get two little does and a wether and bring them home on July 24th! I am so excited! We have three little kids so three little goats seemed like a good number to us. I am looking forward to the day when we have even more kids (goat not human
smile.png
).

Back
Top Bottom