Starting with Rabbits...Lionheads. First show this weekend!

Hi Nellabean, I live in north Georgia and sometimes go to shows in TN. Unless things have changed, most of the breeds you like aren't very common around here. I occasionally see one person with Rhinelanders, but not at every show. I wouldn't go to the show with intent to purchase. Take your time to choose a breed you really like and research it: study the breed standard and talk with various breeders. I have a friend who raises Rhinelanders, she loves the breed. But they are active rabbits and according to her, need a lot of time investment to prep for shows.

I'm pretty new to rabbits, but I have been doing a LOT of reading in the past five months. Everything I read says that Checkerd's are aggressive (one site related to say "they are the pit bulls" of the rabbit world.) We had some Checkered Giants when I was a kid and one Checkered doe was the only rabbit I was ever injured by, other than scratching. She chomped my finger right at the cuticle of my nail and I had a HUGE blood blister under my nail for weeks and weeks. I know this is anecdotal commentary, but with the volume of comments on CG's I would stay away from them!!

Besides behavior problems they are a giant breed that requires very large hutches in comparison to other large breeds, they also eat a lot.

Hey Beaner! I am just starting but I have a trio of French Angoras coming this Saturday - grand champions both the buck and the doe, the jr is just freshly tatooed and all are papered. I can make ya deal on kits......

Yeah, it sounds like checkered giants are out. I don't need cranky. I have enough crankiness of my own!

I love my little lionhead mix guy. he is hilarious and friendly and so funny to watch. Runs and jumps and just has a great time. I bought a baby bunny from the feed store recently to be a buddy for him and it did poorly from the start and died after a few days. I had him separate (in the house) so no danger of illness contagion....but it made me stop and think and realize I would like to actually try working on a breed. I went to a chicken show this last weekend and had a great time. So i will try rabbits.

Just for mor einfo, I am definitely not going to be doing major breeding for new stock, tons of crazy showing, etc etc. This would be more of just a little side hobby. I enjoy the idea of going to the shows, seeing what else is out there and talking to like minded people. Plus the goal of working on the breed. So I am hoping to just start with a nice pair and see how I like it.

Quote:
I can't deal with the hair. Can't do it! Same with cats, I am allergic to long haired small things. I have to have short haired cats and "normal" haired bunnies
wink.png

Quote:
I can't deal with the hair. Can't do it! Same with cats, I am allergic to long haired small things. I have to have short haired cats and "normal" haired bunnies
wink.png

LOL! You actually just pull the hair out - it grows in stages. Hee hee. Then you sell the hair, or spin it. I am looking into that because spun angora sells for a pretty penny. I can't wait to post pics of them.

Well yeah, but I would be dying of allergies just handling them. The short hair doesn't bother me....long fluffy hair? ahCHOOOO.

I really would love champagne d'Argents. They are a nice size and great looking.

I think my top 3 right now.

Flemish Giant
Champagne d'Argents
Silver Marten

I also love lionheads, but they are not yet classified or whatever, right?

Too many options! Rhinelanders are still in the mix, but I think I maybe would rather go with more of a stocky "meat" type breed instead.

Of your top three,

I would say

first choice: Champagne d'argente, good quality meat rabbits, good stock is not too hard to come by.

second choice: Silver Martens, same at the Champs, but getting good silvering can be a challenge.

third choice: Flemish Giants are huge rabbits. Hauling a few of these to a couple of rabbit shows a year will make you wish you chose Netherland Dwarfs.
Not the best choice for meat rabbits because of their heavy bones to support their mass actually produces less meat per pound of live rabbit. And they eat a LOT!

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

I would not call Checkered Giants vicious - the ones I had were good tempered but size + activity can be a challenge to handle. Kinda feel like I have to stick up for them - I liked them but they're not for everyone anymore than Thoroughbred horses are. Some like a bigger challenge and more active breed.

Back
Top Bottom