State Fair Poultry Competition

R3M1X

Chirping
May 14, 2019
Norlina, NC
I am new to the idea of showing chickens, but am curious if I would like to pursue that path with some of my chickens. I wanted to test the waters of this area of poultry ownership by placing some of the birds I have bred in my state fair since the entry fee is 3$. It doesn't seem like a major loss if it doesn't work out.
I did not read it in the guideline and competition rules, but do I need to be a member of the APA to show chickens? On the website it only says I have to be a North Carolina resident which I am.
Also, what is the minimum age for a fowl to be entered? They have options for pullets and cockerels and ownership of the bird entered must be 60 days prior to competition. I have a little one I hatched in March that will be about 18 weeks when the competition starts and I just wonder if she could also enter?
I also saw that on the entry form you can put in ID numbers and whatnot for the sire, dam, and offspring. Do chickens have to have breeding and show papers similar to dogs? Or am I just thinking about this too much?
The website does say judging will be based off of the APA guidelines but other than that it doesn't seem to be a strict event as long as you properly enter a breed listed on their forms.

I tried to get the photos of the two birds I feel are my best bred. Advice on them would also be nice. I tried reading the SOP's on them but outside eyes can be more experienced.
Phil:
20190801_182628.jpg

Lil:
20190806_082404.jpg

20190806_082403.jpg

I did not read it in the guideline and competition rules, but do I need to be a member of the APA to show chickens?
No, you do not need to be in the APA to show chickens.
Also, what is the minimum age for a fowl to be entered? They have options for pullets and cockerels and ownership of the bird entered must be 60 days prior to competition. I have a little one I hatched in March that will be about 18 weeks when the competition starts and I just wonder if she could also enter?
Yes, she would be old enough to enter.
I also saw that on the entry form you can put in ID numbers and whatnot for the sire, dam, and offspring. Do chickens have to have breeding and show papers similar to dogs?
I've never seen anything where a pedigree was required for chickens, however, they may send you zipties to tag the birds you are bringing or they number may be cage, bird exhibitor numbers ect.

In regard to the quality of the birds in the photos attached:
Those birds are lavender Orpingtons, a variety not yet accepted in the Standard. That means that they can get best of variety, but cannot advance further. Orpington breeders are working to get the self blue variety in the Standard, but has not happened yet.
You may want to pick a bird of an accepted variety, but if you feel that these are your best, by all means, go for it. Either way it will be a great learning experience.
Good luck!
:woot

The deadline is Sept. 15. They do have Lavender Orpingtons as an acceptable standard. I also have three Speckled Sussex, one Buckeye, two Light Brahmas, and two White Crested Polish. I also have guineas (but like usual they don't like being held) and ducks, but my Rouen isn't bred as a show Rouen. I have a Pekin and she is really pretty so I wonder if she would be good to use. I wonder if I should enter as many birds as possible. And see how they score. :fl
20190727_132439.jpg

The deadline is Sept. 15. They do have Lavender Orpingtons as an acceptable standard. I also have three Speckled Sussex, one Buckeye, two Light Brahmas, and two White Crested Polish. I also have guineas (but like usual they don't like being held) and ducks, but my Rouen isn't bred as a show Rouen. I have a Pekin and she is really pretty so I wonder if she would be good to use. I wonder if I should enter as many birds as possible. And see how they score. :fl
View attachment 1870125
I think that is a good idea!
I always bring a lot of birds to shows (or at least the local ones.)

Lavender Orpingtons are not yet APA accepted. Also the APA standard is based off the English standard and yours are more the American type of Orpingtons. The APA standard is very specific, down to eye color and pattern of every feather. Your rooster is very long legged for an Orpington and he has to many points in his comb. Your pullets are nice and they may place in variety but won't advance any farther due to not being a recognized variety yet. Also a very important note is cage training. They need to be comfortable being caged by themselves, being cages with neighbors, and being taken out and handled and placed back into their cages.

Back
Top Bottom