Staying out of the Coop or going in ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CESpeed, Dec 29, 2012.

1. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    I see a lot of people design their nest boxes to be able to retrieve eggs from the outside. Is there a particular reason?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't know other than that way there is more interior room in the coop for the chickens since space isn't taken up with nest boxes. The other might be you don't have to enter the coop to gather the eggs? Those would be the two reasons I can think of.

3. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    Some people want to avoid going into the coop more than necessary because of walking on chicken poop- some people have small children that want to collect eggs that wouldn't necessarily check their shoes... ;) and of course it can add extra footage.

4. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    I was just curious. I can see why chicken poop might be a deterent. I can also se how small children might be scared of going into the chicken coop. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a health reason. I wouldn't want to make my birds sick or traumatize them. But it sounds like a matter of personal choice which is what I was hoping.

5. n2omike

n2omike Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    The dirt in the coop can turn to mud when it rains a lot.
    Plus, it's easy to just walk behind the coop, flip up the lid and get the eggs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by