Steadfast's 1st Coop (Ton's of Photos)

Love the additions to the coop. The fox cut out is amazing! WOW!! Impressive! Okay, so I really love the water nipple idea, but how do you keep it from freezing in the winter? All of my waterers froze last night. I'm going to break out the cookie tin heaters for under them... but what do you do for the nipples??? Looks like you're making that coop easier to work with, and I love those ideas.

I have yet to figuire out how i want to keep the pvc from freezing...
I live in NC. so... I still have a few more weeks before things get frozen around here...

i will post pictures of my solution...
wink.png

you could try to insulate all the pipes with the regular black foam pipe insulation and use a regular water heater under the barrel. i would suggest painting the barrel a lighter color in the summer or that thing will really heat up with the sun.

Maybe wrap Heat Tape around the pipes?? And then cover that with the foam insulation for pipes??? You could put a submergable heater in the large water tank that supplies it??? Just ideas!

yeah, submersible would be great. like the ones for koi ponds. you know you could actually run a pipe up from the waterers into a smaller enclosed bucket with a small submersible heater and have another pipe going up from that back to the main bucket higher up. the warm water would rise and pull water from the nipple waterers below. might be a bit of work, just an idea

Last edited:
I’ve added a new shed area to the side of my run.
It stores my lawnmower and all my chicken supplies.

It also features 2 large pens big enough for sick or new birds to wait out their quarantine time.
And to also store up to 6 pullets waiting to “Get Big” enough to join the flock.
These pens also feature a scenic overlook of the inside of the run,
so the waiting chicken can watch the flock, and vice versa,
to help out with their future acclimation into the flock.

Steadfast, you should be so proud of yourself! This coop is awesome - no wonder you won! Such craftsmanship, all for the love of chickens!!! When our new coop is done, our eggs will be just as expensive! We women are lucky to have you dear husbands!!!

Thanks..
I will take some more photos of the inside of the new addition's features for you guys.
Maybe I can give you folks some ideas along the way for when you want to add a side shed addition.

Back
Top Bottom