Steam Rolled Oats Okay?

1lpoock

Spruce Creek Waterfowl
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
I usually mix two bags of poultry layer feed in with one bag of cracked corn for all my ducks. Is it okay to mix in a bag of steam rolled oats also? I don't think there would be a problem, just making sure.

P.S. Is it okay for chickens too?

Thanks!

Hey I know! The summer has been very busy! I have checked on here every once and a while, but really haven't posted. I'll probably be more active in a few weeks starting school and everything and long breaks between classes...how has everyone been?

Pretty good..it has been alittle slow on here tho it being summer and all,,but guessing it will pick up again .. Im learning alot and having fun with my ducks.
big_smile.png

So, 1lpoock, I don't know about the steam part, but I have fed rolled oats to the ducks when I wanted them to have calories without as much protein. That's the kind of oats Storey's Guide recommends. Rolled oats.

Well I think it will be alright then. I am just mixing mostly layer feed, some corn, and some oats....I'm sure they ducks will be happy!
big_smile.png

I heard someone say that their duck died because they fed them oats or oatmeal. Could that be because they weren't cooked? Do you have to feed the ducks cooked oats?

I forgot where I heard that, but I was researching food to feed ducks that was natural, healthy and cheap when I came across someone who implored everyone not to feed their ducks oats or oatmeal. I'm wondering if this is an isolated case or can it be dangerous if it's not prepared a certain way.

Im sure they can eat them.. From what Ive read, some ducks are not real fond of oats.. I think your chickens may like them more... they can be fed in amounts up to 20% of their daily feed ration...Steamed Rolled oats are traditionally oat groats that have been rolled into flat flakes under heavy rollers and then steamed and lightly toasted...

Back
Top Bottom