Steam Rolled Oats Okay?

I feed mine steamed rolled oats (looks like oatmeal) on a daily basis and have been doing so for over a year...it is one of their favorite foods and they are all healthy and thriving...I have three feeders, one for laying crumbles, one for cracked corn, and one for the steamed oats...the oats always disappear first...the greens and treats are fed on the ground or in the pools...I have heard nothing negative about the steamed oats nor have I had ANY deaths...the geese love them too...

edited to add that the chickens love them too!

Last edited:
I recall a person who did (I believe) lose a duckling feeding it a homemade diet. What I remember her realizing too late was that she had not given the duckling any grit at all, so it was probably impacted, unable to digest the whole foods.

Holderread starts giving ducklings small grit early on, and I followed his lead. I used a one to five ratio of dry rolled oats (chopped up a bit the first week to avoid choking) to boughten feed for about six weeks to keep the protein percentage where I wanted it. I started with eleven ducklings, I now have eleven ducks.

I try to remember to emphasize rolled oats, not instant, as instant has other things in it I don't want my ducks eating.

Back
Top Bottom