Step under perch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tamz08, Jul 14, 2010.

1. tamz08

tamz08 Out Of The Brooder

Hi All,
    We have just started to build our own coop. Very exciting. Can you tell me why do coops have a built in step underneath the perch? Is there any good chicken reason for this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are talking about a poop board. Makes for cleaning the coop easier.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes! When chickens roost at night, they still poop, and the poop collects under the roost. If you put a board or tray under the roost to collect these night time droppings, it makes cleaning up easier in the morning. I use a plastic boot tray so I can simply take it over to my composter and dump out the contents.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like a droppings board as the others mentioned. Another possibility, if the roost is high, some people will provide a perch, ramp, or such as an intermediate step to make it easier for them to get up there. Mine have no trouble going up 4 feet to get to the roost, but many still use the top of the nesting boxes as a step.

5. tamz08

tamz08 Out Of The Brooder

Thank you, poop board, thats what I mean. I guessed it was somthing to do with making lide easier. Great thanks for your comments. I shall now decide wether to add one or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by