Stepped on chick— now she’s walking weird!!!

anniemarie01

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Any advice welcome!!
About five minutes ago I was putting my broody hen and her chicks back in the coop (we live in the woods so I let her out once or twice a day with the chicks to go outside when she’s feeling restless). I don’t like to leave her our for too long in case a raccoon, hawk, or some other animal sees the little ones who are defenseless. I put the little chickies (3, maybe 4 days old) back in the brooder and the hen was following me. I went to move out of the way so the momma could go in the broody too when I stepped (not fully, I was stepping back when I hear her squeak) on one of the little chickies. She then began to walk weird on the one leg (favoring the other one). She stands and lays down fine but when she’s walking it’s like the one leg is giving out. I picked her up and I can’t see anything wrong with the leg, it bends fine, and she doesn’t squeak when I touch it or bend it. But I don’t know what to do. She’s in the brooder now with her mom and her two siblings. Should I splint her? Separate her? She’s so attached with her mom I would hate to stress her out by separating her

Any advice welcome!!
About five minutes ago I was putting my broody hen and her chicks back in the coop (we live in the woods so I let her out once or twice a day with the chicks to go outside when she’s feeling restless). I don’t like to leave her our for too long in case a raccoon, hawk, or some other animal sees the little ones who are defenseless. I put the little chickies (3, maybe 4 days old) back in the brooder and the hen was following me. I went to move out of the way so the momma could go in the broody too when I stepped (not fully, I was stepping back when I hear her squeak) on one of the little chickies. She then began to walk weird on the one leg (favoring the other one). She stands and lays down fine but when she’s walking it’s like the one leg is giving out. I picked her up and I can’t see anything wrong with the leg, it bends fine, and she doesn’t squeak when I touch it or bend it. But I don’t know what to do. She’s in the brooder now with her mom and her two siblings. Should I splint her? Separate her? She’s so attached with her mom I would hate to stress her out by separating her
I'm in a very similar situation. I accidentally knocked down the perch and it hit one of my chicks. She is now limping terrible. Using her wing to help her along. I cant see any swelling or deformity to make me think it is broke. I separated her in a bin but kept her in the coop so she could at least here the others.

There isn't a lot you can do. She will probably be all right. It will just take time.

Update: She did improve she still has a limp but she puts weight on it and keeps up with the others. I'm not sure if she will always have the limp but the outcome was better than I anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom