Hen has lost the use of her leg

Tep650

Hatching
Mar 12, 2024
Hello, my hen is about 5 yr old and I’m clueless to what’s happening to her. In the last couple of weeks she’s been treated with corid for cocssi per me telling my feed store she was not feeling goo. No bumblefoot that I can tell. She’s on vitamins, she’s in her box at night in the laundry room and I’ve started putting her out in a chicken tractor in the day time for fresh air and she can see her buddies next to her. She eats/ poop looks good/ she coos and makes her noise but can’t grab are walk on that one leg. I don’t feel anything that I can tell on that leg. What else can I do for her and I’m afraid I’m going to loose her. Can anyone look at the pics and tell anything . Oh! And she’s not laying eggs now either . Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_9707.jpeg
    IMG_9707.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9710.jpeg
    IMG_9710.jpeg
    633.6 KB · Views: 6
Could she have injured her leg? Are her toes curled under on that foot? Have you added any new chickens to the flock in recent months or weeks? How long has it been that she has not laid eggs? Is her tail position up or down? Hard to know exactly the reason for her lameness. Sometimes an infection, tumor, or lash egg material can press upon the sciatic nerve to cause lameness.

Could she have injured her leg? Are her toes curled under on that foot? Have you added any new chickens to the flock in recent months or weeks? How long has it been that she has not laid eggs? Is her tail position up or down? Hard to know exactly the reason for her lameness. Sometimes an infection, tumor, or lash egg material can press upon the sciatic nerve to cause lameness.
Well not sure . She started out with a limp and then couldn’t use at all. No new ones added. It’s been over a month I think. 3 weeks I know for sure.

I forgot to mention her tail feathers I think are okay. I can rub her and she will throw the feathers up. Also when I pick her up she likes to stretch them out

Praying your feathered baby gets better.
Having a bit of same issue. 5-6 y/o Sapphire Gem. Hasn’t laid since July ‘23 (severe snake scare?) Thought eggbound, due to dirty~bottom, lethargic, barely able to walk, laying down while foraging, w/head and tail drooping down.
Her appetite is good & willingness to try and get to where food is, is high. It’s just her inability to walk around to forage/eat, leaving her weak/lethargic. Feeding scrambled eggs w/added calcium (away from others to make sure she gets her fill). Eats blue berries like candy, but no nutritional value. Can feel her breast bone predominant.
She barely ate any eggs this morn. Spends nites inside. She’s out daily. Seems more stressed inside. Have noticed she’s developed a labored breathing, in past two days. Will try to post pics of her foraging.

Attachments

• 20240402_181446.jpg
    20240402_181446.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240402_181525.jpg
    20240402_181525.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240402_181654.jpg
    20240402_181654.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom