Sterile hens????

SlaveJud

Chirping
Mar 29, 2019
I have never seen anything like this before, I don’t see anything posted anywhere close to this, and I can’t find any information…
I raise mixed BJG H Reds.
The answer is not the hybrid- people barn yard mix all the time.
The answer is not inbreeding - I have 2 different breeds from 3 different lines from 3 different countries.
I hatched my current hens last December/ January. They are 11-12 months old. In this group I had 8 that was extremely aggressively broody since maturity and couldn’t be broke. They stole and broke most of the eggs from other girls. They attacked any girl trying to go into the coop. The first 5 was culled for extreme aggression. I did not process the first 5 because they was too small. Their aggression is not because of the HRIRs. I cull all aggression.
I proceeded the last 3 super broodies today. Live weight 6 pounds. Process weight 3 1/2 pounds. They had no egg seeds. Nothing.
Their dad was purebred BJG 3 years old. And their moms was the last of the RIR purebreds younger than 18 months old. I process at 18 months.
I have never seen a hen without at least egg seeds. What is going on????

I have never seen anything like this before, I don’t see anything posted anywhere close to this, and I can’t find any information…
I raise mixed BJG H Reds.
The answer is not the hybrid- people barn yard mix all the time.
The answer is not inbreeding - I have 2 different breeds from 3 different lines from 3 different countries.
I hatched my current hens last December/ January. They are 11-12 months old. In this group I had 8 that was extremely aggressively broody since maturity and couldn’t be broke. They stole and broke most of the eggs from other girls. They attacked any girl trying to go into the coop. The first 5 was culled for extreme aggression. I did not process the first 5 because they was too small. Their aggression is not because of the HRIRs. I cull all aggression.
I proceeded the last 3 super broodies today. Live weight 6 pounds. Process weight 3 1/2 pounds. They had no egg seeds. Nothing.
Their dad was purebred BJG 3 years old. And their moms was the last of the RIR purebreds younger than 18 months old. I process at 18 months.
I have never seen a hen without at least egg seeds. What is going on????
That's odd for them to not have egg follicles(underdeveloped eggs/immature eggs).

Next one you cull, can you get images?

I also have an sterile hen, I hatched last year. She's a Malay that was born with a form of Dwarfism. She's as small as a bantam, also short, & stout. Hatched from full sized Malays.

That's odd for them to not have egg follicles(underdeveloped eggs/immature eggs).

Next one you cull, can you get images?
I would but there is no more. I should have taken photos. I am going to look for the same broody aggression in this next hatch and if I have one I will definitely take photos.

Back
Top Bottom