Sterile roo??

laughingllama75

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
NH
I have a trio of silver sebrights, and they were hatched in july of 07. They are all together, and the roo doesn't act like my other roo's yet....no calling his girls, offering them tasty tidbits, etc. I have to laugh when he crows.......it sounds like somemone blowing a kazoo.....:eek:
I just set a dozen eggs and candled them on day 10....nothing there, just normal unfert. egg. Could he be sterile, or is he just not mature enough to breed or ???? Anyone? Thanks,

If he's not treating his ladies like ladies, I suspect he might not be mature enough yet to successfully woo the girls into mating with him. I wouldn't worry yet till he starts to act like a "man".

I find this rather intersting, although I do not have an answer for you. I have a pair of Silver Sebrights I hatched last summer that do not breed as well. I have kept them in my mixed flock and the rooster tries to court the large fowl hens and ignores his hen. I have caged them together twice as soon as the hen starts laying and have yet to get a single fertile egg. I find it particularly frustrating as their parents (whom I no longer have) had no problem breeding. I am hoping someone has an answer here!

Richard

I am not familiar with the breed but many roosters take longer to mature especially over the winter months. I have had Silkies take a full 8 months to get with the program. I would give him more time but possibly you might keep your eye open for another rooster as well. Hopefully somone on the board is familiar with Seabrights. You might pose the question on the Breeds in General Forum to catch the attention of Seabright breeders.

Back
Top Bottom