1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sterilizing brooder pen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrianT, Feb 9, 2012.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I am getting new chicks in about 7 days and want to sterilize my 4 x 8 brood pen. Can I just mix a little bleach with some water and spray it down after I clean out the old bedding and chicken crap? Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, for chicks I'd use ammonia rather than bleach, as ammonia kills cocci but bleach doesn't.

3. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    Nothing like lots of bleach/soak, a good scrub brush and soap and hot water..tho hose water is fine, and letting it to sit in the sun if you have sun depending where you live for a day. :)
    You can also BUY agricide, Bio-oo-cide etc. just look up Poultry Disinfectants-many to choose from. :)

4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I am not against Bleach by any means .Just Rinse REAL WELL It is ( Highly Corrosive ) ...cva34

5. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee

It doesn't?

I thought bleach killed the majority of microbes.

I didn't know that cocci slipped though the broad spectrum of things that sodium hypochlorite killed.

We use it and H2SO4 to kill everything in a cooling tower at work and that includes Legionnaires Disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by