Stick tight fleas, runny poo.. sneezing

New scales should begin to grow in. Pink in the legs can be due to normal coloring when they are fertile, especially in white legs.
This is one hen after 2 treatments with vegetable oil. The pink then is just new healthy scales?

Attachments

• 818DB79D-FD49-483D-9D34-DBF77E101868.jpeg
    818DB79D-FD49-483D-9D34-DBF77E101868.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 6
Definitely stick tight. We have picked them off last year. But it’s impossible to get every single one :/. They aren’t infested.. anymore. But I do see them here and there by the eyes and get them as soon as I can
This is one hen after 2 treatments with vegetable oil. The pink then is just new healthy scales?
Here's the article that Kathy made for the fleas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...tight-fleas-in-poultry-with-permethrin.74325/
If the oil you're using on the legs seems to be working, just keep at it. You may need to apply 2X a week.
She's a BO so her legs should be white or whitish pink. They look to be healing. If she's laying eggs, then some of the pink can be hormones as well. If that rooster of yours has white(ish) legs, likely you will see reddish or pink streaks on the sides of his legs too - hormones.

Here's the article that Kathy made for the fleas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...tight-fleas-in-poultry-with-permethrin.74325/
If the oil you're using on the legs seems to be working, just keep at it. You may need to apply 2X a week.
She's a BO so her legs should be white or whitish pink. They look to be healing. If she's laying eggs, then some of the pink can be hormones as well. If that rooster of yours has white(ish) legs, likely you will see reddish or pink streaks on the sides of his legs too - hormones.
He seems at have the slate colored legs. And yes he definitely has some pink streaks up his legs to. Thanks so much! I’ll take a look at the article!

My bird (a peahen) has stick tight fleas all over her neck. I gave her ivermectin injectable orally and sprayed her with permethrin poultry spray and smothered her neck in coconut oil. I went out this morning to the coop with my tweezers but the skin on her neck is so tender I am having trouble pinching the fleas without grabbing her skin. I don't want to hurt her further...is there any other way to remove the stick tight fleas?

@casportpony @KsKingBee do you have any suggestions for @old biddy

My bird (a peahen) has stick tight fleas all over her neck. I gave her ivermectin injectable orally and sprayed her with permethrin poultry spray and smothered her neck in coconut oil. I went out this morning to the coop with my tweezers but the skin on her neck is so tender I am having trouble pinching the fleas without grabbing her skin. I don't want to hurt her further...is there any other way to remove the stick tight fleas?

@casportpony @KsKingBee do you have any suggestions for @old biddy

My poor peahen died yesterday. I had removed over half of the sticktight fleas with tweezers but it stressed her out terribly. I made sure she was drinking water so she would not dehydrate and I fed her a mixture of water and layer crumbles but she just kept deteriorating before my eyes. I had raised her from the day she was hatched. She was 7 months old. She was my baby and my friend. Her name was Ninja but I called her Brat. I miss you, Brat.

Old biddy, sorry to hear about losing your peahen. If you do not raise bees, you might want to pick up some Permethrin 10 at TSC or other feed store. It can be mixed with water and used to spray the whole coop every 30 days to get rid of any infestation. Elector PSP is quite pricey, but it is supposed to be very good as well.

Back
Top Bottom