thegreenacrehomestead

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Homosassa Springs, FL
Okay, so we moved into our homestead two years ago and our chickens have always had a FEW fleas. Like, really, just maybe a few. Nothing to worry about.

WELL two weeks ago my husband and I realized that some of our ladies were COVERED in them. I FLIPPED OUT. Have you ever been bitten by a stick tight flea? OUCH. I can't imagine what my ladies were going through.

**Stick tight fleas are fleas that have tick like characteristics like burrowing into skin, not just biting and hopping off***

I had read A LOT of the vaseline method, DE (which I use regularly in their hen house), sevin powder, etc. My ladies and gents don't like me touching them. We have a relationship where they'll run up to me and hang out but they don't want to be picked up - it stressed them out.

So here's how I have almost gotten rid of the stick tight fleas.

In the morning I would feed them away from their hen house in their 2nd lot that they graze in. I would spray a diluted Sevin liquid on the ground in their coop. All over - get the kind that hooks up to a house. I would let it dry before letting them back in the house. I did that for a week.

What I think REALLY helped was this - "Vet's Best Flea & Tick Yard and Kennel Spray"
I always used this spray in my house, on my dogs' beds, on the carpet, rugs, EVERYWHERE. It smells great and is SAFE. It also protects against ticks and repels mosquitoes. The spray is made with peppermint oil and clove extract. It has made such a difference and puts a nice smell in the hen house. I did the same thing with this - hooked it up to a house and sprayed it all over the floor every morning.

My hen house has a dirt floor so I've found that it's a little harder to prevent things like fleas but this spray is my saving grace. I also dusted my hens with DE and made sure they had a good amount of space to dust bathe. I also sprinkle DE on the ground every other night at bed time.

Hope this helps someone - I just wanted to share something that I had been struggling with and what worked for me to fix.

I've got infestation of fleas, in and around d the coop and all over the backyard. They've even made their way into the house.

I've got infestation of fleas, in and around d the coop and all over the backyard. They've even made their way into the house.

For inside your home, I strongly suggest using Vet's Best Flea & Tick Spray. You can get it on Amazon. It's safe for pets and humans and I routinely spray my carpets and pet beds with it. For your yard, they also have a Vet's Best Flea & Tick Yard and Kennel Spray that I suggest using. You can also use Sevin Powder or Sevin spray. If you have chickens or other animals, I would suggest using the spray and only applying while they are away from the area as sevin can be harmful to them. I use the spray in my hen house in the mornings when they're out of it and have seen a DRASTIC drop in stick tight fleas. I hope this helps and good luck to you! I know how much of a nuisance fleas are. If none of this helps, I'd almost say to call in a professional. Good luck!

I'll try the vets best flea and tick.

Thank you. WeveW lived here 6 years and this is the worst year yet. They are everywhere.

I'm in North Florida I see the comments about dry sand . Should I moisten the ground Daily a bit to help??? Only a few so far and sprayed permethix stuff from Lowe's last night while they were roosted

Back
Top Bottom