Sticking Sensor to the eggs? (Picture)

artathart

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
So I am trying something tonight so I can get some sleep and I dont know if its right or wrong. Has anyone with a accubrite or any other digital thremomter with wire sensor stuck it to a egg? My sensor has a sticky side where you can remove the plastic coating and stick the sensor to something. I have just been dropping the sensor thru the vent holes but I cannot determin if it is at egg height or not. Then I cannot decide if I should have it in the front of in the back. So just now I removed the plastic backing from the sensor and lightly attached it to a egg leaving the cord lose so when the egg turn shifts, the sensor will move freely.

Anyone else try this? Good idea? Bad idea?

sensor030.jpg

sensor028.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes. But it doesnt come off while the eggs are turning but I just lifted it off this morning without any problems.

Is your incubator a still or forced air machine? In the case of a forced air machine then the height is not so important as the fan mixes the air. In a still air machine then the sensor should be at the height of the top of the eggs. Adjust your temperature accordingly to still or forced air.

However in both cases you are measuring air temperature so its my opinion that sticking the sensor to the top of the egg is not such a good idea! As for postion then try to be roughly in the middle.

In all cases the temperature of the machine should be checked with callibrated thermometers so you know there is no inaccuracy. I do these every year before using the incubators.

Hope that helps you
wink.png

Pete

Quote:
The sensor is not measuring the temp of the egg if thats what you are thinking. It would be measuring the temp at the heigh of the egg. Yes I have still air.

Im not familiar with your probe but if it was a thermometer then I always recommend its not touching anything so an accurate air temperature is obtained.

I have one of those thermometers.... It only seems to read 98.4 , 100.2 or 102. So I don't think its very good.... I have another digital, an analog dial, and a standard red bulb thermometer. None of them move that much or display the exact same temps so much The other digital I have seems to be alot more acurate then that.

Ohh.... btw.. the double stick tape probably does more to insulate it from the egg temp then anything.

Back
Top Bottom