Sticky Bottom Stuck Bad...

Poultry Girl04

Chirping
Apr 7, 2018
I have a two day old Ancona duckling with sticky bottom. I cannot get it off her vent.

I tried washing her vent with a warm washcloth but the poop is too hard. I also tried putting her in a warm bowl of water. I then tried to wipe the vent with a washcloth. I still could not get anything off.

She is not eating and cannot keep her balance. I do not know what else to do. Please help!!

We need a pic. Are you letting her soak? put your duckling in a nice warm bowl of water in the sink and stay with her. Let her soak pasty bottom is serious so if after soaking the poop won't come off maybe try something like ky jelly or coconut oil to help loosen it up. Have you tried getting behind it with your finger nail and gently peeling?

If it's a lot of poop, take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze it, crushing the poop. This'll pull the feathers a bit, but not nearly as much as just pulling it off would. Then lubricate the crushed poop with some oil, or just let her swim a bit, and gently pull off the crushed bits with your fingers.

0327191204[1].jpg
0327191204a[1].jpg

Here are a few pictures. The poop is ON the vent. I am not sure how to deal with this case in particular.
I have dealt with sticky bottom before, but not like this.
I received the duck today and she was like this. That means she went two days in the mail with a sticky bottom. :(

So obviously, you can't reach that with pliers.
I would try olive oil on that, and then try to pick it out with tweezers. It's more easily absorbed into the mass than coconut oil, though messier.
I hope that works. Never seen pasty butt like that either.

Thank you for all of your help!

I had a pair of very small needle-nose pliers that I used to gently pull the poop off of her vent.
Once I got everything off, she squirted on the mat that I had laid on the floor.
She is still a little bit off balance (toppling around a bit and rolling over), but she is not curving her tail and rear-end down anymore.
I am going to give her some time to warm up under the heat light and then try to feed her again.

Thank you once again for all of your help, it has REALLY been helpful!!! :frow:frow:frow

The heatlamp might be too warm and causing the problem
95-100 first week then 5 degrees less every week

Back
Top Bottom