STICKY CHICKS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pokey, Jul 13, 2008.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i just thought i'd pass this along.when my last chick(s) hatched it was so dry because i had humidity problems that i had to help it out of its shell. it literally stuck to the wire in the incubator and could not move.
    NOW, i am not going to tell you this was the smart thing to do, but i decided to rinse the chick under warm water. ok, my husband freaked, but , i dried it gently with a blow dryer, put the chick back , and no harm done. i just wanted the other people who feel like [​IMG] when this problem arises that this was tried and atleast worked for me. again i am not going to tell you to do it, just that i tried it.

2. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Sometimes we have to play it "by ear." Last night I had to help some chicks out of their dried out membranes, too. I partially submerged them in a bowl of warm water, and gently peeled the membrane off. It had to be done - the chicks were in straight jackets! They're dry and they're fine.

(And somebody out there is probably freaking out about what we did.) [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Last hatch I had albumen covering two chicks. Both were from extremely large eggs. I had to rinse both of them under warm running water to get it off. I hated to do it because of their navel cords, but afterward I touched their navels with a q-tip dipped in betadine.

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't even think about their open belly buttons. Is it too late to medicate? :eek:

5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    guess better safe than sorry........maybe its not to late or hopefully they will heal up w/o it.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It's not too late. Just touch them with some betadine on a q-tip. It will help them dry up faster too.

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I was going to ask if Betadine was safe for the chicks, so here's my next question: if I ever have to rinse membrane from another chick, could I use a mild Betadine/water solution to do it?

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yes, you could. But if you have city water that has chlorine in it, just putting betadine on the navel is probably enough. Well water...I would put a touch of betadine in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by