Sticky poult

mswendeu

Songster
11 Years
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I had a turkey poult in the incubator to hatch. Well it’s membrane got stuck, it’s out, it’s got bits of egg shell on it and it’s eye is stuck open as theres some membrane I think stuck there, also it has a little yolk sack at the end of it. I have it in a bowl with damp paper I put it’s bum on a little sugar and put damp paper towels in there. Is there anything else I can do until that’s absorbed so I can get its eye clean? I have others hatching so I’m trying to be minimal in the assistance. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 21
I had a turkey poult in the incubator to hatch. Well it’s membrane got stuck, it’s out, it’s got bits of egg shell on it and it’s eye is stuck open as there's some membrane I think stuck there, also it has a little yolk sack at the end of it. I have it in a bowl with damp paper I put it’s bum on a little sugar and put damp paper towels in there. Is there anything else I can do until that’s absorbed so I can get its eye clean? I have others hatching so I’m trying to be minimal in the assistance. Thanks in advance.
You can use warm water on a paper towel to gently moisten the dried membranes. Once they are moistened you can gently remove them. One of the best ways to get them moistened is to use coconut oil.

You should get it off of the wet paper towel, that will actually chill it, which could kill it. Take a warm, soft, damp cloth and remove the sticky stuff from the face, then stick it in a small container line with a soft cloth and hope it finishes absorbing its yolk.

You can use warm water on a paper towel to gently moisten the dried membranes. Once they are moistened you can gently remove them. One of the best ways to get them moistened is to use coconut oil.

Will this work? otherwise all I have olive oil

Attachments

• 2867F2BC-2D98-4CAC-8515-E7027DA22B24.jpeg
    2867F2BC-2D98-4CAC-8515-E7027DA22B24.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 4
Hello!

Often times stickiness and sticking shells on hatched chicks is caused by low humidity during incubation. Look at the shells after they hatch as well…you can figure out if you need a higher or lower humidity by the size of each end of the shell on either sides of the zipping crack. Here’s a picture of a small section in the book Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks by Gail Damerow: image.jpg
I’m sorry I can’t really be of more help, I’ve never hatched poults before or really had to deal with unabsorbed yolk sacs after hatching… I hope this is of some use though! Best of luck!

Hello!

Often times stickiness and sticking shells on hatched chicks is caused by low humidity during incubation. Look at the shells after they hatch as well…you can figure out if you need a higher or lower humidity by the size of each end of the shell on either sides of the zipping crack. Here’s a picture of a small section in the book Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks by Gail Damerow:View attachment 3519378
I’m sorry I can’t really be of more help, I’ve never hatched poults before or really had to deal with unabsorbed yolk sacs after hatching… I hope this is of some use though! Best of luck!

thank you this is very helpful.

I have been working on him off and on all day long. So I used warm water in the sink and got i hope all the gunk and shell off of him put him back in the bowl with a dry paper towel, back in the bator closer to the heat and 🤞 he will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom