Sticky salvia, lump in throat

Luvmychicks22

Hatching
May 8, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and new to raising chickens. I have a 10 week old Barred Rock hen that has been looking rough for about a week. I first noticed that her eyes weren't as bright as everyone else's, that prompted me to examine her more closely. She has sticky salvia in her mouth, when I force her to drink it seems to help bring up whatever is in there. I did some research on impacted crop but I'm not sure if this is the case, the pictures I saw shows the crop a lot lower on their body, this lump I'm feeling is more in the middle of her neck. Last night, I brought her in and only offered her water and grit, I've been massaging the lump and when I do she opens her beak wide as if in pain.

I'm not sure if I should take her to the vet or keep her inside for a few more days.

Thanks for any help!

I like to err on the side of caution, birds that are ill don't have a lot of wiggle room to wait and see if they will get better. Birds tend to hide illnesses, so others in the flock won't attack/kill them. I'm guessing that sticky saliva and the lump in throat are either due to crop issues, ,poor hydration - maybe she doesn't drink enough or possibly is running a fever, etc.

Is she pooing normally, have any interaction with others in the flock? Get bullied away from food & water? Answers to any of these questions might provide a glimpse into what is ailing her. It's very hard to diagnose any bird when you can't observe in person, and give an examination.

So I've had the chance to really look in her throat, it looks like some pictures I've seen of chickens with possible fungal infections. In the back of her throat, there is a yellow/green lump.

She doesn't appear to have been bullied, when I let them all out to free range she is always with them. She has been drinking water when I've forced her but unsure if she is doing it on her own. She was quite mad that I separated her and kept flipping over her water. She doesn't seem to get bullied away from the food.

She is pooping it's not a large amount and it is more white now. My guess this is due to the lack of food and possible water consumption. I'm leaning towards taking her to a vet rather than wait around to see if whatever this is passes.

Back
Top Bottom