sticky shells when boiling eggs...any tips?

prayerkat

Hatching
11 Years
May 28, 2008
on some of our banty eggs... the shells stick too hard to the egg after they are hard boiled. I have been told to make sure I put them directly into cold water after thier time is up cooking... and some have said to crack them a bit and run the cold water over them. But my question is... wehter they are laid that day or a week old... they still have the problem... Some of the chickens eggs dont do that....... and some do..... Is there a mineral or vitamin they are not getting that makes the thin membrane not seperate?? I can crack them and have to take off tiny tiny pieces and then alot of the white goes with them... by the time your done you got mostly yoke and hardly any white.
if anyone has any tips for hard boiled eggs to peel them easier I would love it!
Thanks
Kat

Fresh eggs do that, very frustrating. I don't have an egg in the house anymore fit for boiling!

If you like boiled eggs, use your oldest ones. Mine never last long enough!
lol.png

Last edited:
What I have done is while peeling (I have learned the older the eggs the easier it is to peel) a fresh egg. Put a little olive oil on the cracked shell...that seems to make it a lot easier for me. Try to get it under that membrane.

A week isn't that old for an egg. Eggs can still be good 4-6months of being in the fridge. Best way to make them easier to peel is to stick them in the back of the fridge and wait longer.

My mom always said to put some salt in the water to keep the egg shells from sticking to the white. I dont know if it works though.

Was watching Good Eats on the food network, and he said never store eggs on the counter top because they can age 1 week in a day.... aha!

So I take a dozen out and put it out on the counter top for 2 days in the summer (no air conditioner), 3 days when it's cooler out. Usually I stick a piece of tape on it and write on it when they can be boiled (exp: Sat. a.m.) I can peel eggs laid that week easily.

I also add a dash of vinegar, it helps prevent messy blowout when boiling eggs.

The best thing is to steam the egg!!

Put them in a double boiler, in a vegetable steamer. When the water starts to boil, steam them for about 15 minutes.

The shells literally fall off!

Really, try it!!
big_smile.png

thanks for the tips.. well what I cant figure out is why some of them when I know they have just been laid... peel fine and easy... but the others dont.
I will try the steaming one that sounds interesting! and the other ideas too! thanks so much.

Kat

i've always had this trouble until last weekend. I read on here to put alot (1/4 cp) of salt in the cold water, boil, then quickly, with Ice, cool the water down, this shrinks the membrane from the shell. Worked Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom