Sticky Situation Advice?

Quote:
It's a rental inspection but the renters also speak to the council. They will check my garage and my garage already has a couple cars in it.
hmm.png
(long story about THAT which isn't supposed to be there as well... *sighhhhh*)

And haha, I did notice I can move it BY MYSELF. He was like "We can put it on wheels!".... so that vermin can get under it and how well do you think wheels work in dirt??! he thinks it's 500kg.

I can lift it but it's awkward. I'm sure we could try to move it to an area I KNOW they don't check (where the dogs are, they're afraid of dogs).

It's completely unusable as it is. It needs a rebuild for sure.
hmm.png
Or a miracle.

Luckily the inspection is not FOR the coop! I'd die. D:

hugs.gif
You have a good heart. The "coop" (in almost no sense of the word) is, um, unusual. I would be worried about his feelings, too, but wow!

Does your rental agreement allow you to bring in more people? What little I know of renting (hey, I saw it on Judge Whoosit's show)
is that often a lease can be voided if the tenant allows others to move in.

Quote:
No, it's not allowed and yeah I could get evicted for it... which is why I want everything else to be as spotless as possible. But... I'd like to know what the rental agency is going to say. Considering they themselves lost over 10 rentals in the floods and had to find homes for all their renters (by law, the government made it mandatory)... I really REALLY expect quite a bit of sympathy when they do inspection. They're not 'moved in'... they have basically only the belongings they were able to salvage for a small stay of around 2-3 months. I'm risking it a little, but you'd think with how many people lost their homes so close to me, it wouldn't be surpsrising if I let people stay for a bit. What are they going to do? Tell my guests to go home?

But the 'coop' pushes their stay into 'Well they're destroying the beauty of the neighbourhood' (which is shockingly important here - I've gotten warnings for not mowing my lawn DURING RAIN.)

I don't know if anybody spoke to him yet, I'll ask today.

sickbyc.gif

For the record, he is the one recieving the favor.. and that "thing" he pasted together does not count as a favor.
hide.gif

JMHO, the lack of adherence to any plans, the wacky paint and so on, not listening to helpful criticism, just seem to be evidence that he doesen't truly care what the result is. So how hurt could his feelings be?

It really is great that you're being so awesome and helping out these victims!
thumbsup.gif

My Mom, actually, is an Aussie too, though she's been in the states for almost 25 years... and at the moment we have a great Aussie lady visiting us with her teenage daughter, they've only been over here for 6 months since she got married. She and mom started talking on the Mates Up Over forum... She had silkies back home and is helping me plan my coop... Soooo hilarious, her stories!! Love her to bits
love.gif

I just can't stand all this vegemite eating
sickbyc.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
Ah mate, I'm conviced Aussies only keep around half empty jars of vegemite to make foreigners believe they eat it so foreigners try it. CONVINCED man. I've never seen an Aussie EAT the stuff.. but they always seem to have jars of it!! Ever notice that? And the way they stare at you funny when they give you some? They're like, "OH man, guess what I can get the Americans to eat? OLD BEER YEAST!" It's the same with dropbears and hoopsnakes man. (Ask them about drop bears, btw)

Yeah it's the workmanship in general that makes me honestly wonder if he cares. I mean.. the paint is... everywhere? It looks like he wiped the brush OFF on the shadecloth (which btw RUINS shadecloth because now the holes are blocked...).... I don't really know how/if he's proud of it.

Like it seems to me... he HAS to know it's crap? Right? Like how can you honestly not???

Quote:
Nah.. stuff like that doesnt bug me,.. it can be taken down when he leaves. I'd rather do that than hurt his feelings...
The guys in a tough place right now... homeless and just trying to be helpful to her for giving him a place to stay...
I'd keep my mouth shut and let him bang away.... then deal with it when he leaves.
Just my opinion... everyones different .

I CAN'T deal with it when he leaves. Inspection is in five days and he's here 6 more weeks AT LEAST. His house hasn't even /started/ rebuild.

If the council sees this come inspection, I -will- get a warning.

What kind of inspection?

You could always be proactive and go to them first and say something like "I'm housing a flood victim, and he offered to build me a nice coop for my chickens. Seemed like a great idea, but the reality is that it is hideous and unstable. I do NOT plan to keep this "structure" once he has gone, but I really do not want to hurt his feelings by telling him how ugly and unsound it is. Is there some way that we can reach agreement right now that it will be taken apart as soon as he is gone, and I will not be cited for it when y'all inspect next week? I am more than willing to put this in writing."

Ok, Sometimes us guys get a little pouty
hu.gif
when someone tells us the truth about our skills, but this guy's carpentry talents are so bad that you would be doing him a favor by being as brutally honest as you can, down to the last detail. The sooner this guy gives it up the better. Maybe he is better as a musician or something. I'm not the best carpenter either, but at least I know when to get help. If I was in his shoes, I'd rather you tell it to me straight, just say it in a nice tone.

Quote:
I CAN'T deal with it when he leaves. Inspection is in five days and he's here 6 more weeks AT LEAST. His house hasn't even /started/ rebuild.

If the council sees this come inspection, I -will- get a warning.

What kind of inspection?

You could always be proactive and go to them first and say something like "I'm housing a flood victim, and he offered to build me a nice coop for my chickens. Seemed like a great idea, but the reality is that it is hideous and unstable. I do NOT plan to keep this "structure" once he has gone, but I really do not want to hurt his feelings by telling him how ugly and unsound it is. Is there some way that we can reach agreement right now that it will be taken apart as soon as he is gone, and I will not be cited for it when y'all inspect next week? I am more than willing to put this in writing."

I was thinking that, actually. My husband was hoping we could get him to tear it down before calling the agency and telling them (it's a rental inspection but the agency is closely tied to the council and I live in a year-old newly built suburban estate.
hmm.png
) but it doesn't really look like that's going to happen because I've been on their case now for 3 days and he hasn't even touched the coop (thank christ) since then. Nobody is telling me anything!! And one of the people had a guest over last night so I really couldn't bring it up at the table, grrrrr.

I work tonight and tomorrow, too. UGH! WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE CHASING EVERYONE AROUND TO DO STUFF.
sad.png
I can't do it all! I have work and I clean the rest of the darn house AND I am now cooking for five people!! D: Sorry now I'm just whinging....

Back
Top Bottom