Sticky Situation Advice?

elizabethbinary

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
As some of you know, I am sheltering three homeless flood victims. It was supposed to be two but a third was asked to join last minute and then offered to pay his stay in a chicken coop! Well I thought, that's pretty sweet - yeah that would be helpful. It's been 3 weeks now and... this is not a coop. This is not close to a coop. This is not even close to the plans he drew up. He literally bought wood, tossed the plans and made it up as he went. It's gotten worse and worse every day until it's just.. I don't even know. I've paid for most of the materials for this and it's so hideous I'm certain the council will ask me to tear it down if anyone in the neighbourhood sees it (which they likely will). Yesterday is when he put the foil up and started painting... the door is tilted and has 3" gaps...

My problem is this is a flood victim... like, he thinks he's doing this as a favour but at this point I want him to stop! He can stay with me rent free (I do need to charge a little for food, it's not much, I ask $40 a week otherwise) if he just STOPS this! D: I can't keep it. I can't even use it. I bought the good hardcloth wire so that it would be strong but it's not going to be strong against a breeze let alone a predator.

During the build we tried to say things a few times about using some of our better tools and maybe using different wood.. or any wood (shadecloth walls?)... and he just doesn't listen. Says it'll all work out.

I don't know what to say to the boy? (Boy? I think he's 25!) Like, "Sorry dude, you need to tear this down, I'm going to get evicted if anyone sees this?" That sounds so... mean... but it's the truth!! Like... help. How do I word this???

51901_img_0677.jpg

You don't wanna see the closeups.
sad.png

Yikes!

You need to be gentle for sure. This sounds like my husband all over. Try this: I need this to be a specific mission (here are the plans) because I am a very detailed oriented female.... and you being a man of skill will have no trouble making this happen. Explain that the coop is more for you than the chickens. Everything else is not accecptable and needs to go because you like to have your specific nesting female way....

Or you could knock it down... accidently put the truck in reverse...oops! :)

Ummmmmmm
ep.gif
that thing looks like its not very stable.. thats one reason to take it down..... does not look like it would survive a puff of wind.. i would not even attempt to put Poultry in that. I wouldn't know how to word it.. since im a very blunt person.. but i would try and explain the reasons why you are having to take it down.
Maybe you can salavge some of it and make a A frame chicken coop?

Wow!! great coop, I love it!! where can I get one like that?... now do you want the truth?... Give the guy the truth, it looks like crap. It sounds like he needs some learning and is not real teachable. I would be gentle (which for me is admittedly difficult) and tell him what you think or... go out at night destroy it throw some beer cans around the yard and tell him someone vandalized it and you cannot afford fix it again.

Quote:
That's the thing - he HAD plans. Actual plans. With measurements and materials... and this was so so so not it. Not even close. Not even the distance from the moon to the earth. Height, width, length, materials... none of it is the same. :hmm So if I HAND him some plans... I worry what he will do with them!!!

.... do you think I could get away with knocking it over with a dirtbike?

Quote:
My husband thinks he can salvage it after he leaves... but that's still months away! The boy's house is being rebuilt. D: (Thank goodness not by himself?) But he just keeps adding more to it.

We've both spoken to him about safety and he just says he's working on it, when it's done it'll be good... but right now I really REALLY can't see how....

I guess I really need to get my husband to sit and talk with him man to man. He definitely won't listen to me. D: I've built better dog kennels from shipping pallets! D:

Certainly does sound like he needs to be spoken to, at least the thought behind it was there
hmm.png

Giant fan to blow it over?
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I have hired similarly skilled individuals in a pinch and you want to help them for sure but sometimes they need to learn the not so easy way. I would have your husband sit him down and discuss a little more than chicken coop construction. Chances are he probably has never been taught why workmanship is important to the employer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom