Guinea Breathing with mouth only.. Stopped eating & drinking.2 days ago..

babysrealdad

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2024
N.E. Pennsylvania
Hello, My male guinea can not perch any longer.. He's in a cardboard box lined with straw. Normally we use wood chips. So last week we noticed he would follow the flock but then lay on the ground and not participate... If the flock moved he moved with them and layed nearby on the ground with his head tucked in... over 50 hrs ago.. He started refusing to eat and drink.. Yesterday I gave him a tiny amount of Equimax in the morning then in the evening.. Today I gave him a tiny amount of IverCare but only 1 time.. I have been hand feeding water about 10 ml every 2 hrs 6 to 8 times daily.. He poops green and white.. He suddenly gets powerful when he wants to reject drinking. I notice that since yesterday he's getting worse at breathing.. He's only breathing, almost gasping, through his mouth.. I have no idea if he has any worms or not. There are no signs around the nose of drainage or dust blockage.. It seems like something is going on internally either bacterial or parasite...He never moves once we leave him alone. He even lets my wife pick him up and hold him while I give him water. But he's starting to fight off the water only because he's gasping just to breath. I am of course seeking any advice possible.. Thankyou

Last edited:
Hello,

Do you notice if his crop is full? If his crop is full it could be stopping normal breathing. Check his crop to see if it is full or what it feels like.

If you are able to feed him I would start on some Nutri-Drench for rapid nutrients absorbson.

It could also be coccidoisis, if his poop was greenish/yellow, it sounds like he was pretty lethargic and not eating before you brought him in. Maybe try some CORID, if he takes the nutri drench well.

Do you have any antibiotics or oregano oil?

Do you notice anyone else in the flock acting odd?

Hello,

Do you notice if his crop is full? If his crop is full it could be stopping normal breathing. Check his crop to see if it is full or what it feels like.

If you are able to feed him I would start on some Nutri-Drench for rapid nutrients absorbson.

It could also be coccidoisis, if his poop was greenish/yellow, it sounds like he was pretty lethargic and not eating before you brought him in. Maybe try some CORID, if he takes the nutri drench well.

Do you have any antibiotics or oregano oil?

Do you notice anyone else in the flock acting odd?
Everyone else in the flock is normal with the exception of one occasionally picks fights.. I have been giving him Chlorine Dioxide which kills bacteria along with horse paste in tiny doses.. I stopped the paste yesterday when I read that you can harm them if you give too much.... I have been rubbing VetRX on the upper inside of his mouth... We do have liquid Chicken E-lixir which is an Origanol probiotic.... However due to how hard it's been to get liquid into him, I just stuck with the MMS made from Chlorine Dioxide... Now UPDATE, today he jumped out of the cardboard box and 30 inches down to the ground... I mounted 10 mg of fresh squeezed watermellon juice next to him where he could get it easy without moving his body... Low and behold he drank 4 ml from the little container... He has started to breath slightly more normal today as well... I put him back in the box tonight and he.is staying inside. He is still not active at all really. I did isolate him from my other guineas and chickens... I have heat lamps on him as well at a proper distance and he's out of the direct weather for sure... Regarding your questions about his crop? I have no clue what a crop is and the search engines keep taking me to food crops🤣.... I also mounted food seeds nearby him but hes not touching it.. We also layed a piece of watermellon nearby but he's ignoring it... oh, we have been rubbing the VetRX on his nose and upper mouth insides, every other hour since yesterday... That has oreganol oil in it... He really has been breathing through his nose today but he's wheezing as he's breathing... But thats an improvement from yesterday big time...Oh by the way, the very best antibiotic I know of, which is natural, is the salts activated with 2% acid. (Chlorine Dioxide)... We have been using it since Early 2021 daily, ourselves and never got sick again....Hospitals use it to disinfect but they tell us it will kill us if we use it.. lol, it's going on a few years and we are both still healthy. healthy... Update, So now I know what the crop is and will check it out tomorrow morning..
Alan

Last edited:
Hello, thankyou for your response.. I updated my original post answering your questions the best I could... We ordered both Nutridrench and Corid.. 1 of them arrives today and the other tomorrow... As of now, he has not touched any food or water on his own since early yesterday and even then it was only a few milileters of watermellon juice.. We gave him 2 teaspoons of water at 7:30 AM this morning with the mms which kills infection/bacteria... We will check his crop very soon when we give him his next dose... He was down on the floor this morning again but because he was trying to be with the other guineas... He did stay in the box all night long under the heatlamp... Please read my original post again after update... I will reply here again under reply once we look at his crop... He struggles breathing while I give him his 8 drops of water then he calms down and seems to breath more using his nose once I leave him alone... I do have origanol oil that we use ourselves but we take it in capsules... I did not give him any of it ONLY because I worry about it burning him as it goes down... So I ask, is it ok for me to give him drops? If so how many? I myself would take an entire capsule full so my guess would be 2 drops perhaps 3 times a day... however untill I hear otherwise I wont risk making him burn in his throat...Thankyou for your time.. Alan

Last edited:
Hello, thankyou for your response.. I updated my original post answering your questions the best I could... We ordered both Nutridrench and Corid.. 1 of them arrives today and the other tomorrow... As of now, he has not touched any food or water on his own since early yesterday and even then it was only a few milileters of watermellon juice.. We gave him 2 teaspoons of water at 7:30 AM this morning with the mms which kills infection/bacteria... We will check his crop very soon when we give him his next dose... He was down on the floor this morning again but because he was trying to be with the other guineas... He did stay in the box all night long under the heatlamp... Please read my original post again after update... I will reply here again under reply once we look at his crop... He struggles breathing while I give him his 8 drops of water then he calms down and seems to breath more using his nose once I leave him alone... I do have origanol oil that we use ourselves but we take it in capsules... I did not give him any of it ONLY because I worry about it burning him as it goes down... So I ask, is it ok for me to give him drops? If so how many? I myself would take an entire capsule full so my guess would be 2 drops perhaps 3 times a day... however untill I hear otherwise I wont risk making him burn in his throat...Thankyou for your time.. Alan
Hello,
I will say not to use anything that is not natural or specifically for poultry. So the nurti drench, corid, and oregano are okay to use to treat poultry.

Chlorin Dioxide I have read that it's just used to clean water sources for poultry and humans like big water sources, and to disinfect the pipes the water runs through. There is no documentation on giving it directly to poultry as a medicine. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates the maximum concentration of chlorine dioxide in drinking water to be no greater than 0.8 parts per million (ppm).

Overdosing/toxicity reactions to Clhorine Dioxide can include shortness of breath and breathing problems. I am not sure what MMS paste is so I cannot really advise on its use.

I have seen chickens take oregano oil capsules successfully. In fact to reduce the chances of aspiration, I often put liquid meds in vegan capsules and feed the bird the pill. Aspiration is a big concern in poultry because of the anatomy of their throats.

Here is more on the anatomy of Guinea Fowl:

https://guineafowl.yolasite.com/bod... crop is a temporary,break the food into mash.

The crop is a small pouch at the base of the Guinea fowls neck where food is stored until it goes through the digestive tract.
This link talks about crop impaction in chickens but guinea fowl can also get impacted crops

https://cluckin.net/crop-problems-prevention-and-treatment.html

I would offer water with electrolytes and sugar to boost his energy, when the nutri drench comes in offer that mixed with sugar water. If he won't take the oregano capsules put the oregano oil in the water with the electrolytes and sugar or honey. Offer protein because game birds need lots of protein like yogurt or cottage cheese (easy to eat calorie dense food). Pull back on any other meds. Give him a day to rest before giving the Corid. You can still give him the Vetrx if you feel it's respatory because that is labeled for birds.

If you find that his crop is impacted and it is not going down. Like he eats and the crop swells then a few hours or a half a day later it's still full; offer olive oil and message the crop until it is less hard giving the chance for the food to move along.

A few questions:
Has he Pooped if so what does it look like?
How do his comb/wattles/helmet look (like what color)?
How do his legs look are his toes curled?
What feed are you giving your Guinea fowl?
Has the flock been vaccinated?
Have you checked his feathers for mites or lice?
What does his breathing sound like? (Weezy, rattling, etc).
What are his resperations per minute? (Normal is 12-37 you count how many times he breaths in/out in a minute).

Lastly, it could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency here is a link that talks about that in poultry:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry

I hope this helps, sending positive energy to you and your Guinea.
-Kate

Attachments

• 20240131_124918.jpg
    20240131_124918.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello,
I will say not to use anything that is not natural or specifically for poultry. So the nurti drench, corid, and oregano are okay to use to treat poultry.

Chlorin Dioxide I have read that it's just used to clean water sources for poultry and humans like big water sources, and to disinfect the pipes the water runs through. There is no documentation on giving it directly to poultry as a medicine. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates the maximum concentration of chlorine dioxide in drinking water to be no greater than 0.8 parts per million (ppm).

Overdosing/toxicity reactions to Clhorine Dioxide can include shortness of breath and breathing problems. I am not sure what MMS paste is so I cannot really advise on its use.

I have seen chickens take oregano oil capsules successfully. In fact to reduce the chances of aspiration, I often put liquid meds in vegan capsules and feed the bird the pill. Aspiration is a big concern in poultry because of the anatomy of their throats.

Here is more on the anatomy of Guinea Fowl:

https://guineafowl.yolasite.com/body-systems.php#:~:text=The crop is a temporary,break the food into mash.

The crop is a small pouch at the base of the Guinea fowls neck where food is stored until it goes through the digestive tract.
This link talks about crop impaction in chickens but guinea fowl can also get impacted crops

https://cluckin.net/crop-problems-prevention-and-treatment.html

I would offer water with electrolytes and sugar to boost his energy, when the nutri drench comes in offer that mixed with sugar water. If he won't take the oregano capsules put the oregano oil in the water with the electrolytes and sugar or honey. Offer protein because game birds need lots of protein like yogurt or cottage cheese (easy to eat calorie dense food). Pull back on any other meds. Give him a day to rest before giving the Corid. You can still give him the Vetrx if you feel it's respatory because that is labeled for birds.

If you find that his crop is impacted and it is not going down. Like he eats and the crop swells then a few hours or a half a day later it's still full; offer olive oil and message the crop until it is less hard giving the chance for the food to move along.

A few questions:
Has he Pooped if so what does it look like?
How do his comb/wattles/helmet look (like what color)?
How do his legs look are his toes curled?
What feed are you giving your Guinea fowl?
Has the flock been vaccinated?
Have you checked his feathers for mites or lice?
What does his breathing sound like? (Weezy, rattling, etc).
What are his resperations per minute? (Normal is 12-37 you count how many times he breaths in/out in a minute).

Lastly, it could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency here is a link that talks about that in poultry:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry

I hope this helps, sending positive energy to you and your Guinea.
-Kate
He gargles when I give him drops of water.He opens his mouth wider to breath during the times I am giving water.. Then settles down and still breaths with his mouth but barely opens it..
He still does poop even though he has not eaten for over 4 days. His poop started out green and white then yestermorning it was all black, today it is green and white again with a tiny amount of black poop..it is watery of corrse.
his comb wattles and helmit are all normal in color the same as the other 4 guineas.
his legs are strong and normal, he uses them both to fight me off when opening his mouth.
I feed them allflock 17 or 18 % along with crumbles watermellon most of the summer months as long as its available.
the flock was born in February last year and no they are not vaccinated
we havent checked for lice or mites but will today yet.. However we have 7 chickens and 4 other guineas and everyone else is running around eating and happy. And again yes hes bresthing wheezy and rattling... perfect discription.
we will count his breathing per minute next trip out there shortly...

Well all the stuff I use is natural. I just avoid chemicals. My hens are vaccinated because they came from a local hatchery that did that automatically. If your birds were not vaccinated that's okay it just means that there are more options for what the possible issue could be. Do you feel this could be merricks disease? How old is your bird? What was the answers to the other questions.

Well all the stuff I use is natural. I just avoid chemicals. My hens are vaccinated because they came from a local hatchery that did that automatically. If your birds were not vaccinated that's okay it just means that there are more options for what the possible issue could be. Do you feel this could be merricks disease? How old is your bird? What was the answers to the other questions.
technically since I bought my peeps at tractor supply I dont know the real vax history... I doubt merricks because both his legs are strong... I thought they get wesk legs even though he wont perch which only stopped 2 days ago. He flew out of the box on his own 1 time yesterday and 1 time today.

technically since I bought my peeps at tractor supply I dont know the real vax history... I doubt merricks because both his legs are strong... I thought they get wesk legs even though he wont perch which only stopped 2 days ago. He flew out of the box on his own 1 time yesterday and 1 time today.
Hmmm. Would he drink water independently from a container placed in front of him? Or like offering it on a spoon. I would be afraid of giving water/forcing water because birds can easily aspirate which can worsen breathing issues. So it sounds like he is having labored breathing and has low endurance/needs to lay down often. How does his belly look? Like does his belly (under the breast bone) feel squishy and full of fluid? It could be ascites:
https://www.dsm.com/anh/challenges/supporting-animal-health/ascites-in-chickens.html#

If his breathing is the main issue and you think it's viral or bacterial you can:

If your birds are being stressed supplement him with multi vitamins or probiotics. Both these products will give your birds a boost which will be invaluable to helping them resist disease or recover.

At home remedies include adding garlic and turmeric to the feed, there is evidence to support the use of oregano oil which contains natural antibiotic properties. We have also found dabbing a small amount of Vicks on the beak in front of the nostrils can be helpful to clear congested sinuses and open the airways.

Sick birds ideally need to be kept in a quiet warm environment until fully recovered.

https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/chicken-wheezing-identify-chicken-respiratory-disease/

Convince him to willing take fluid even if it's juice or sugar water (hide the other supplements in there) fighting is too stressful for you and the bird.

Back
Top Bottom