Sticky Situation -or-Dirty Curly Fry

Do you know how old these ducks are? how are you keeping them? penned or will they have time daily to forage outside of a pen? Exercise is important for muscle strength so I am
Age?You know what? I haven't asked.
Also,they'll be in a 1/4 acre fenced in area with plenty of grass,sunny and shady areas.

Perfect.
You mean like, Kegel-type excercises,or just plain waddling about the yard?
I doubt you could get your drake to do Kegel-type exercises. Hopefully swimming in a nice kiddy pool and just reg exercises around the 1/4 acre will help.
doesn't sound like where they were was good for many exercises.

Hello looking for advice as I am a rookie in the duck game. I visited a small animal farm to again,look at some ducks that my wife and I would like to purchase. Turns out due to our hesitation most of the ducks were already purchased
But there is a male and a few females left. So we figured we were ok.
I noticed something peculiar...when the male mounted the female,then finished;there was something hanging from behind him and that looks like a curly fry immediately I figured what it was but what was off-putting was that it was long enough to drag on the floor picking up gravel and debris and stuff. I observed that it didn't seem to bother him too much he just went about his way dragging it on the ground collecting debris. I turned to the owner and asked how long before it goes back in? He answered,"Usually goes in sooner or later."
My question is am I going to have to be following this thing cleaning up after him before it retracts? I would hate for my duck to get sick due to unhygienic situations.
For you and for the drake.
modern-family-spray.gif

Hey I realize it's a funny subject but any information will help.😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
My muscovies have the same issue sometimes. It's quite disturbing to see them hop off a female and waddle off with it dragging through the dirt.
Definitely a hands off situation for me. I let them sort it out themselves and honestly never looked close enough to see if they're picking up debris. It's never seemed to have caused an issue so maybe there's some self cleaning going on as it puts itself away. :confused:

Here is some reading for you:
Source:http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue28.htm
What's that "Thing?"
This question has come up since our inception and it continues to make its rounds. The corkscrew shaped body organ dangling from your drake is not his entrails falling out, but rather, quite normally, his penis.

It is not unusual to see this appendage outside of your drake’s body (especially after mating rituals) unless it does not return all the way back inside again soon after making its appearance. If you see the tip of your drake’s penis continually exposed over the course of a few hours or more, something is most likely wrong.

An exposed penis (called "penis paralysis," "phallus prostration," or "protracted penis") most frequently occurs when a drake is not given ample access to clean swimming water. If one of your flock members exhibits this trait, serious considerations to the availability of swimming water in his living environment should be taken -- now and going forward. If you are certain that lack of water is not the issue, over exertion during the mating season, infection, genetic tendency and old age can also be factors.

In any case, you will want to make it immediately possible for your drake to have ready access to clean swimming water -- a kiddie pool is perfectly acceptable. You will also want to give him a break from any courting hens in case over exertion is part of the problem. You may want to separate your drake from all of your ducks to prevent any pecking, especially if it appears to be attracting unwanted attention.

The more time he spends relaxing on clean water, the more likely the situation will remedy itself quickly. Some families have had additional success by adding a small swimming basin to their drake’s nighttime barn/shed as well, to promote evening swimming -- at least until the condition remedies itself. Take caution during colder months that small water sources cannot freeze up while your duck is sitting in them.

During this time, it is vital that swimming water and grounds are kept exceptionally clean to avoid an infection of the penis. Change out water frequently and hose down yards a couple of times a day in addition to laying down fresh bedding frequently.

Be wary of misinformation and avoid "home remedies" that include tactics like tying-off the penis. Not only is this information unreliable, but it is also dangerous, cruel and painful for the bird. Seek out qualified veterinary assistance!

Vets have varying opinions on this matter, but a round of antibiotics at a minimum is required (Baytril 22 mg, once daily for at least 7 days) to rule out any possible infection. We highly recommend this general antibiotic treatment since it is not harmful to the duck and can help your drake toward a quick recovery.

If your drake is exhibiting a visible infection (redness, irritation, necrotic tissue, etc.) he should be brought to the vet for immediate examination and treatment. In most cases, if attended to immediately, the penis will not become infected and it will retreat back into the drake’s body within a couple of days. It is not unheard of, however, for the penis to remain exposed for months before returning inside the body. Some drakes exhibit the trait for the remainder of their life. In this case, it is possible that the tip of the penis might begin to dry up and fall off, leaving the remaining portion functional. If this begins to happen, bring your feathered friend to the vet for follow up visits to monitor progress.

Vet’s can surgically remove the tip of the penis, but this is not recommended unless there is an infection that requires medical intervention. An exposed penis is very rarely fatal when properly attended to.

How long does it stay out?
I was there for a good 10 to 15 minutes and then I had to shoot on back to work because I have a meeting at 1:30 p.m.. he was still dragging it around when I left... I just couldn't chase them to take another picture because I had to run.
Can these guys be circumcised? I mean I don't know I don't know anything about ducks I'm just asking.

Back
Top Bottom