Stiff hen that squeaks?

What do you mean by stiff breast? Really need more info on that.

The squeaking is not an awfully good sign, chances are in this case it's related to her stiff breast, but hard to hazard a guess without knowing what exactly a stiff breast is. Are the muscles in spasm? Are you referring to her crop being hard and packed?

Best wishes.

You can feel it and the whole breast is hard and paced in.

So, the pectoral muscles themselves are really hardened, I take it? I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the last bit. 'Packed in'?

Generally if there is some disorder causing such tightening of the muscles, there are a few suspects. Any recent injuries could have given her some variety of tetanus; some of those bacterium can be long-incubating so it may not even have occurred with a recent injury. Only some will cause life-threatening spasms. I had a bout of mild tetany that went for a few weeks nonstop, not that uncommon.

Another alternative would be poisoning. Can't recommend much for that without knowing what did it except perhaps abundant calcium magnesium supplementation, and/or vitamin C megadose (1000mgs is a megadose generally, enough to help many health issues including destroying toxins, but won't harm the chook, though I wouldn't use anything with artificial sweeteners or sugar added). It may give her temporarily sloppy poops, at worst.

Is she acting a certain way or doing anything abnormal?

Best wishes.

Ah well, would need more info to be able to guesstimate or offer any suggestions. Maybe your vet can wring more information out of the situation.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom