Still air incubator

mcphoto

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Hi all,
I know you probably get this alot but I have a few questions regarding my still air incubator.
Several years ago I hatched about 100 give or take Pekin Ducks in my still air incubator, perfect with any issues, then I tried a batch of chicken eggs and several of the chicks had deformities in their legs.

I recently got 10 chicken eggs from a relative and I've been working on getting my incubator temp regulated. Since I'm rusty I've been reading up on incubation of chicken eggs and I'm confused. Some websites give me temps like 98-100, strictly 99.5, others 99-100, and the last one I read stated for a still air incubator 101-102. I am nervous that my deformed batch several years ago was related to incorrect temp and I would really like to avoid this at all costs! I find it quite heartbreaking to see the little creatures unable to walk! :(

So my question is, what temperature range is safe to use for my chicken eggs in the still air incubator?

You'll want to run a higher temp in a still air, I run mine at 101.5F. The higher temperature makes up for variances inside the 'bator, which are swirled around and evened out in a forced air incubator.
Good luck!

Last edited:
So I've been trying to get the temp to 101.5. I can't seem to get it there. It's temping at 100.8 and if I turn it up even the slightest the next thing I know it's temping at 104+.

Also, the past 2 days it's been temping 99.5 to 100.8. Our house thermostat is set at 70.. and our windows are covered with plastic to keep heat in(I live in PA along lake erie) and to stop any drafts. Is this temp variation going to effect the eggs dramatically?

Mine does that too (its an LG). If 100.8 is as close as you can get, just settle there, it'll be okay.
I would be concerned about the swing though. Can you put the incubator in a closet or bathroom, or any place that stays a little more stable? If its swinging that much, something is causing it, just have to figure out what it is. Mine only varies about .5 degree, on a good day. I've had hatches that went well with a bigger 1 degree swing though. Like this hatch I'm doing now, we heat with a wood stove, so its pretty inconsistent in my house this time of year. I've had swings from 98-102 this time, and I've got 9 chicks out and others working on it. I guess you'll just have to decide if that's a chance you want to take...

What incubator do you have? They all seem to have their own little quirks, and tips and tricks to help set them straight...

It's like a hovabator but is still air. Doesn't have an egg turner. I purchased it from tractor supply a couple years ago. I'm wondering if it's just too old? Or could it be the digital thermometer I got for it recently? I really don't have a better place for other than where it is at..

Is it a Little Giant, a styrofoam incubator? I have 2 of those finicky things. One of them is at least 10 years old (I've had it for 9 years, and got it second hand from a friend), it still works fine.
It could be your thermometer. A lot of those digital one can't be calibrated for accuracy, so they're pretty much useless. I'd recommend the Brinsea Spot Check incubator thermometer, or a good, old fashioned glass medical thermometer (the kind you put under your tongue).
If you can't move it, I guess you'll just have to see how it goes. Is your temp dropping at a certain time, like at night? Or does it happen whenever the thermostat kicks on (like, the temp dips to 99.5, the heat kicks on and it heats up to 101.8 then dips down again)?

Last night it was 100.8 and it was this am too. When I got home from work around 4pm is when I saw that it had dropped to 99.5. It got a little colder today so I bumped up the heat in the house to see if that changes amything

Back
Top Bottom