Still air incubator

I'm on my first still air batch of eggs myself but a friend who has the huge cabinet incubators says he leaves them in for a day so they can dry off and stay warm. From all the reading I've done they can last up to 3 days. For myself I think I'm going to leave in for a day and then move to brood box. I'm on day 21 and hearing lots of chirping but not any pipping yet! I'm a nervous wreck. LOL.

Good luck that is so exciting that you can hear them! Thanks for your input, I'm afraid to leave them in there very long because of the still air. Just received our Silkie eggs today that were shipped from East to West coast of US. They traveled three days so I have them resting now and will be setting them tomorrow. Really enjoying this page and community so much information and people to learn from! Thank you!

Well, I've had 4 hatch so far and they are all doing great. I had to move the first two out after about 8 to 10 hours because they were knocking eggs every which way. I waiting till they were good and dry and walking around good before I did. They are resting much better in the brood box. I hope all goes well with your batch! Keep me posted!

That's great news! I set all 16 eggs today at 1:30 pm after candling them, I did not find any cracks only one with a floating dot in it, not sure what that is ab. Incubator was constant 102 empty and at 10:00pm it's staying steady at 100 degrees. Sounds wise that you took the chicks out from the other eggs, good to hear they are thriving!

You can leave the chicks in for up to 3 days, the chicks rolling the other eggs won't likely hurt them just watch that they don't push chunks of already hatched eggs over the hatching eggs, I had one do that and get dried on over the pip of a hatching egg and it ended up dying, who knows for sure if that was the cause but it didn't get hatched all the way. You don't have to worry about them based on it being still air, at the hatching stage you should have your vent plugs removed and that should provide plenty of air for them.

I take mine out 8-10 after hatch. I've never had a problem. I can't handle the constant chirping in the incubator. they get so quiet and sweet drying under the heat lamp

I ended up removing them after they are dry which is about 8 hours. I did notice that they do calm down and rest much better and quieter in the brood box under the light. Thanks for all the help!

After 108 hours of incubation Silkie eggs, they were shipped FROM East to West coast so I'm incubating them with the fat end up. First time doing this and I'm wondering if this looks normal?

After 108 hours of incubation Silkie eggs, they were shipped FROM East to West coast so I'm incubating them with the fat end up. First time doing this and I'm wondering if this looks normal?

It doesn't look like anything to me, a clear egg, I hold off on candling until later like day 10, that is when I can really start to see development. At day 4 it can be hard to see anything.

Back
Top Bottom