Still air V. Circulated air incubators?

GreggsEggs

Cooped Up
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Caneyville, KY
Still air V. Circulated air incubators?

Sorry in advance if this question/topic as already been addressed in the past. But due to the overwhelming number of topics and post, and my inability to find the specific questions I have, I am going to ask it again!

What are the pros and cons of both still air and circulated air incubators?

I understand circulated air has a fan moving the air around in the incubator. I have read here that they vent out stale air.
If that is necessary for a good hatch, what purpose would a still/stale air incubator serve?

Is still air and circulated air only a matter of preference?

Is there a different use for each?

I have found both style incubators that are exactly the same minus the fan and a $35 difference. The one with a fan costing more. Is there a $35 value difference in having the air circulated?

I am looking to buy 3 incubators, will it be worth over $100 to get them with fans?

Once again what are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks for any help!!!!!

I have one with a fan. I think the benefit of the fan is that it evens out the temperature in the incubater better, vs. having an upper and lower temp in a still air. You don't have to have the temperature set as high in one with a fan or worry about the eggs not getting enough heat in the bottom. The fan also serves to pull in humidity, but it can just as easily disperse it faster, so some people have a hard time in drier climates with keeping it the right level.

I dont think there is a down side to forced air,so i guess it depends on wether you want most of your eggs to hatch or only a few of them,If you are buying eggs the forced air will pay for it self in hatched eggs over time
why 3 bators why not one big one

Last edited:
3 small bators that hold 42 eggs. one bator for each of the 3 breeds I have and or will have. To help which eggs are from which breed easier. Plus 3 small bators cost half of the big one.
$302 plus shipping for 3 small circulating air V. $500-600+ for a sportsman.

I will one day get a big sportsman or 2 or 3,4 or so. If and when I can make enough money breeding, hatching and selling chicks and eggs locally and on my website. Just after I build my "New SUPER Monster Coop"(for the "Original New Monster Coop, see my "Monster" Coop thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16507 ) and hatchery building.

I know this is a whole other debate but maybe you should save and buy ones that arnt "disposable". The styrofoam ones tend to hold in bacteria and unless there is a safe way of scrubbing then you should not waste your money. I personally like the ones that are made of plastic. IMHO. You can also save alot more money and build your own for much cheaper

Last edited by a moderator:
inuyashalover21 wrote:I know this is a whole other debate but maybe you should save and buy ones that arnt "disposable". The styrofoam ones tend to hold in bacteria and unless there is a safe way of scrubbing then you should not waste your money. I personally like the ones that are made of plastic.

As far as I know neither of the two style incubators I am looking at are made of foam. The descriptions both say, made of thermal plastic Not polystyrene foam like an even less expensive incubator description states. How ever I have seen plastic liners that go on the bottom of the incubator for easy cleaning. In addition anti-bacterial wipes are not too expensive.

The incubator I am really leaning towards is the Hova-bator, with the egg turner and turbofan. I have read decent things about them here.​

The only thing I can add is a claim I read on an Ebay listing that said forced air tends to dry out the eggs more than still air. I'd love to hear from the eggsperts on that claim!

I have BOTH - still and fan forced. I used the fan forced to incubate the eggs with the egg turner. 3 days before the hatch - I transfer them to the still air and raise the humidity with just the wire rack. I found that the still air didn't dry the chicks as fast as the fan unit. I'm going to try reversing the process after reading these posts. I'll let you know what happens. The original reason for have two units - is in case I want to add eggs on a different day to the unit actually incubating them, so I don't have to disturb them when transferring on the last few days for the actual hatch. Hope that makes sense! Anyone have any thoughts?

Quote:
As far as I know neither of the two style incubators I am looking at are made of foam. The descriptions both say, made of thermal plastic Not polystyrene foam like an even less expensive incubator description states. How ever I have seen plastic liners that go on the bottom of the incubator for easy cleaning. In addition anti-bacterial wipes are not too expensive.

The incubator I am really leaning towards is the Hova-bator, with the egg turner and turbofan. I have read decent things about them here.

Thats the one I have

Back
Top Bottom