Still air V. Circulated air incubators?

I have BOTH - still and fan forced. I used the fan forced to incubate the eggs with the egg turner. 3 days before the hatch - I transfer them to the still air and raise the humidity with just the wire rack. I found that the still air didn't dry the chicks as fast as the fan unit. I'm going to try reversing the process after reading these posts. I'll let you know what happens. The original reason for have two units - is in case I want to add eggs on a different day to the unit actually incubating them, so I don't have to disturb them when transferring on the last few days for the actual hatch. Hope that makes sense! Anyone have any thoughts?
I am glad you posted this. I have some incubating now, on day 12 in a forced fan incubator, I purchased some eggs online and have them started in the forced fan incubator also but today is the first day for them. I was going to take the newer eggs and transfer them to the incubator I have with no forced air but after reading your post I think I will wait and transfer the older ones in when it's time to stop turning them. Thanks for the idea!
goodpost.gif

My forced air inc had a much lower temp in the centre! Like 4-6 making it only 94-96 degrees while the outside is 99-100. We can't seem to fix it. Tried lots of different things. Hubby is cutting wires temporarily to make it a still air and see what happens.
Any of have suggestions ?

I have BOTH - still and fan forced. I used the fan forced to incubate the eggs with the egg turner. 3 days before the hatch - I transfer them to the still air and raise the humidity with just the wire rack. I found that the still air didn't dry the chicks as fast as the fan unit. I'm going to try reversing the process after reading these posts. I'll let you know what happens. The original reason for have two units - is in case I want to add eggs on a different day to the unit actually incubating them, so I don't have to disturb them when transferring on the last few days for the actual hatch. Hope that makes sense! Anyone have any thoughts?
I realise this is an old thread but I think this is a really good idea because I am having problems with the chicks getting stuck to the egg shell in our fan forced bator. Does anyone else move to a still air after lockdown??

IMO, the forced air s a bit better quality but is more high maintenance as mentioned above, it dries out the water faster so you have to constantly be adjusting the humidity, my region has high humidity and so dose my home, so the still air works just fine, but then as seasons change and the humidity is lower and you have to add more n more water the forced air comes in handy, also still air you only add water once again at lock down and leave it closed, vs forced air we know the fan dries up the water and changes humidity faster do you have to keep.adding water throughout lock down, now I.know I haven't pin pointed an actual.pro and con but I have pointed out the relative difference for preference depending on your climate region, and that is where one would decide over the actual pro n con.

Are you still using both types of incubators? What did you find?
I have the same senario with an older forced air and a brand new still air and am about to set my eggs. TIA. Liz

Back
Top Bottom