Still air vs forced air

corvidae

Songster
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Utah
Which do folks like best. I have 2 hovabators (the styrofoam box type ones that hold up to 42 eggs), one with a fan that currently has eggs in lockdown, and another without the fan that will be getting eggs in a couple of days. Am I better off picking up a fan for it, or does it much matter? And, if I use still air, what temp do I set it at? I'm firing it up now to try to get it regulated over the next couple of days so I can set the eggs.

I'm probably not qualified to answer, as I have never hatched, but I've read that still air is more difficult. I think you are supposed to aim for 101 at the top of the eggs, and 99 at the bottom. Good luck with your hatch!
I'll try my first hatch in a hova-bator with a fan in another week or so.

Set the still air 102 degrees and I would invest in a fan kit for it as well. Then the temp should be at 99.5, which hopefully your other incubator is at currently. Good Luck

Yes, my other has done a good job of maintaining at 99.5. Sunds like I'd do well to go pick up the fan. Sadly, that means I will have to pass the area with the bantam silkies and the little polish chicks I so badly want. I have every confidence I shall restrain myself.
lau.gif

102 for a still air and 99.5 for a forced air. I use a still air for incubating and a homemade forced air for my hatcher. This go-round, I plan on keeping my batch of eggs in the still air through lockdown. This year has been bad for me when it comes to the switch so the still air they'll stay. Why mess with a good thing?
wink.png
IMHO, if they've been doing good where they're at, why change it? That's my egg hatching philosophy of the year.
wink.png

I'm a newbie to incubating....just put my first set in today. I have a still air and the instructions specifically say 99.5 is where is needs to stay! Are the instructions wrong????

in a still air the air will "layer" it is possible for the top of the egg to be 99 and the bottom 97, thats why most recommend 101 102 but never over 103 @ the top of the egg. I use a hovabator with a fan I installed until lockdown then I unplug the fan during lockdown I cannot prove it but it seems like I have hardly any shrink wrapped this way. Most directions specify 99.5 for forced air and 101-102 for still air

Quote:
interesting, i have hova with a fan i installed mid-hatch, and just kept the fan going during lockdown.

i shoot for 99.5 for the temp

when you unplug the fan, do you switch your temperature target to the still air numbers?

Back
Top Bottom