Still air vs forced air

Quote:
interesting, i have hova with a fan i installed mid-hatch, and just kept the fan going during lockdown.

i shoot for 99.5 for the temp

when you unplug the fan, do you switch your temperature target to the still air numbers?

beings lockdown is the last 3 days of incubation I ussally just keep an eye on the temps I have a thermometer that has a sensor bulb that lays on top of the eggs as long as it doe not climb over 101-102 I do not worry about re adjusting the temps it kina depends on whether the bator is full or not it seems like when it is full all the way the temp changes less ( more thermal mass)

Last edited:
We have a LG still air that we rigged with a computer fan. It cost us $40 less, and works the same. In our experience, adding the fan raised the humidity and temp greatly, which probably makes it easier to control. I have yet to get my humidity higher than 50% with it working as a still air. I don't know how people do it.

Still air is unpredictable, and in this business of hatching eggs I like to erase as much unpredictability as possible. That way it becomes more assured and more scientific. I would go forced air, just for the peace of mind of having stable temps.

Still air incubators suck!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I fill the entire bottom of my bator and put cut up sponges in I have not tried it with a LG yet but hova bator will do 65% ++ easy with a calibrated hygrometer . And BTW I have had 100% hatches with local eggs using a still air LOL

Quote:
Still air needs to be at 102. What brand incubator did you purchase?? Way wrong answer for still air!

We bought an LG for now....we will be getting an old wooden cabinet style one in the next month or so. I just don't understand why the instructions would say 99.5 if it needs to be higher......

Back
Top Bottom