Still broody

cluckygirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
Mummy hen has hatched 4 chics. She is still broody so I put more eggs under her. Babies are still with mummy hen, but I'm worried about the new hatchlings that are due in 7 days.
Should I take the first hatchlings out and put them in another cage before the next babies arrive???
Please help!!!!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You need to take the eggs out from under her and let her raise her already hatched babies. She should not be broody while having chicks to raise. And the chicks need a mother. So take the eggs out and allow the mother to do her thing.

Good luck!

She's amazing, sitting on eggs and being such a wonderful Mummy.
They are all together in a small cage, I'm just worried the bigger babies will attack the new babies when they hatch

The new chicks will not attack the smaller ones, they'll be fine. Have you got an incubator or another broody that can take care of the remaining unhatched eggs? Momma really should be running around with the chicks now...

When the first lot of babies were born, she still sat on the nest (no eggs) she would get up every now and then to toilet, eat and drink, then would sit again.
So I thought maybe dhe wants more babies???
So I put more eggs under her.
I have heard that the older chics will attack the new chics??

Back
Top Bottom