1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still buying store bought eggs....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amyh, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have 11 hens and 1 rooster. Only two are laying yet, so we get one or two eggs per day. The others are not too close, combs are still very small and pink, so it will be at least a month and probably more like 2 months before they start laying and then there are even younger girls......

I am still buying a dozen or two eggs per week because we eat a lot of eggs and I do a ton of baking. I hate to buy store bought eggs!!! Ugghhhh!!! I can't wait for the day when we have so many eggs that I can give a dozen to a neighbor, a dozen to my mom, etc.

That will be SOOOOO COOOOLLLLL!!!!! [​IMG]

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    that's one of the reasons i'm getting MORE chickens this spring.......the other reason, is simply cuz i LOVE chickens and i'm a hatchaholic. anyway, i had to buy store bought eggs last week too! [​IMG] NASTY, tasteless things! i only have 4 girls, and 2 are still faithfully laying! so i guess i should consider myself lucky with that....still getting about 1 egg a day, sometimes none, but sometimes 2. next winter will be different i hope!

3. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Can you buy eggs at a local farmer's market?? Then you can have yummy eggs and still support others' flocks.

4. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I echo your frustration! I have 6 hens and get 1-2 eggs per day. I have been buying eggs all Winter. I have 3 more chicks (now 5 weeks old) in a brooder and hope Summer will have a lot more eggs! More importantly, I hope next Winter will have more eggs. This past Summer we had a fair number of eggs per day, so Summer wasn't the issue, it's when the weather turns colder and they stop laying that I appreciate having more hens!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I hate buying eggs AND chicken feed [​IMG] it's just the most frustrating feeling............

6. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I get 3 eggs a day -out of 5 hens... so Guess I am doing okay. One of my girls is a banty who went on strike in fall.

I did buy 7 new chicks - and am hoping to get more eggs... I don't buy store bought often - but had to for holiday baking! I save the girls eggs for my breakfast!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    right now mine are laying just enough, I can't wait til spring. Some folks have stopped laying all together. Yours will get there, just be patient.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We had to buy 2 dozen in November when we had super cold temps and a blizzard. After they got used to it though it is back to 6-8 Eggs a day out of nine hens so not buying eggs now.

9. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    I have 21 hens and only get 1 or 2 eggs a day and every now and then 4. They are all over 6 months old and I am so ready for the rest of them to start laying. So far we haven't had to buy eggs, but the holiday meals really took a toll on our supply!

ETA: Just had to go buy 18 eggs...grrrr...be careful what you say! LOL!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  10. Bebo0707

Bebo0707 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    We have 8 chickens that are now 7 months old . They started laying at about 4 months and worked thier production up to 8 eggs about three times a week with the other days at 6 or 7 eggs . So far this winter they have not slowed down. It'd fairly mild here on the southwest coast of B.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by