Still consider myself a newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by planetpal1, Oct 1, 2013.

1. planetpal1

planetpal1 New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi all! I got 12 chickens about 3 1/2 months ago. We lost one to a digestive tract defect, but otherwise the rest are going strong. I have a daughter with Leukemia and her chemo has made her allergic to many things, including eggs. I got chickens to experiment with their feed to see if I can get eggs that she won't be allergic to. I'm a pastry chef, and there is NO substitute in cooking/baking for real eggs. Once my girls start laying eggs, I'll have the eggs nutritionally analyzed, and I'll be sure to post the results here. We have 1 white leghorn, 1 Arucana, 3 Amerucanas, 2 plymoth barred rocks, 1 rhode island red, 1 production or red sussex (not sure yet), and 2 buff Orphingtons. We have coyote and racoon issues in my town (just outside San Diego, CA) and one coyote just got my daughter's house rabbit that we let run around outside during the day. :( so sad. I'll post pics of the chicken coop soon, it's pretty dandy. Looking forward to lots of info here. Thanks for the opportunity to learn more.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined us! :D

3. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us! Im so sorry about your daughter and her bunny. I really hope you can find some way to produce eggs that your daughter isn't allergic to. It sounds like you have a very nice variety of chickens as well. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] some people on BYC that are allergic to chicken eggs have found they don't have that problem with duck eggs. Maybe that is worth investigating.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your daughter's health problems. I hope you can find a way around her egg allergy.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

X2 about the duck eggs

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome.My granddaughter is allergic to eggs so I would love to know how this works out.Hope your daughter is doing good.

9. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Is she allergic to duck eggs also?

10. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    [​IMG] I am sorry to hear about your daughters bout with Leukemia, and her pet rabbit. I have coyote's here in the swamps where I live. I think they avoid my yard due to my Mini Schnauzers. My dogs stay indoors, but use it close to the fence where my chicken yards are. I also keep a radio playing loud in my main barn. It can be herd near all my barns and out 60 yards or so. Most Predators don't like loud noises

I will also add that when I had rabbits, I would see coyote droppings and tracks a lot closer to my yard. I also had all the wild rabbits coming in my yard to hang out under my rabbit cages. I think the tame rabbits drew in the wild rabbits, and the coyotes were coming closer in hopes of getting a free rabbit dinner.

Sounds like you've got some good egg layers. I wish you luck with the hens, and prayers for your daughters recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by